Big Sub synth ??

Badscrape

hello, I am looking to make big sub bass , sound like Dj Version / Sativa Dub /T>I ...

I work with Massive ..
But I can not at desired result , If someone have a great technic hit me up :) Big up !!!!

we have a thread called How to Bassline, stickied at the top of the Production forum. Check it out.

Subs are basically sine waves. Use different FX to them and you get a nice, fat thing to bring some weight to your mix. Saturate a single sine wave, lowpass a nicely synthesized reese bass. There's no "look at this big sub" vst.

exactly, its like asking what synth has more than one osc, can be detuned, can play low notes, has a LP and can be ran through an FX chain (probably consisting of chorus, dist, overdrive, LP, EQ), the answer is pretty much... im not saying all of them, but remember, LPd detuned saw waves is bigger than sines.

make sure theres space in the mix for it. if your bass is an 808 kick kind of sound, boost 500 hz, youd think that wouldnt work, but it really does add a rude gurn on that old boy

and finally, be creative with it, chorus a pad, LP the result, overdrive it, LP it again, and scoop out mids with an EQ, see if that doesnt sound better than a sine osc with bass boost

lol that total science track had a big sub cause it was loud in the mix.. But as people have just said. There is endless amounts of shit you can do and your sub will start to sound 'phat' the better you get at making the other aspects in a tune good.. We all did it, "How did they make this bass' once upon a time, its pointless time consuming, sure, have a play in a synth and try to recreate the bass' and sounds but dont let that be the biggest worry of making drum and bass or any music for that matter, there are more important things to learn

If i was too add some techniques then stuff i do is

1. 'Distort/saturate sine waves then roll off the sub so i have the distorted harmonics to go with a clean sub.
2. Add a sine 1 octave above at a low db, its a different kind of sub wouldn't completely recommend it for proper rolling stuff but it still works and i do do it in a lot of stuff.
3. When rolling off the sub of a bass dont cut at 100, try 90 or even 80, (Play this by ear) if you have kicks and other stuff around the high sub area then just use it carefully.
4. very tiny layers ie Bass layers at the 85 to 250hz range work wonders and will create nice warmth and thickness, ie, sub at 60hz, sub harmonics at 100db, then a detune square or sine at 100 till over 200, then maybe throw in some saturated/distorted and eq'd whitnoise espeically if youve got a phat bass with the white noise (i use massive) and roll off all the lows so its just a sheen, that there will give you a extremely punchy, solid and coloured bass, this works in almost everything.
5. the actual mix of the track is vital and if thats not right your sub wont sound as good. referencing, multi meters on the output, before plugins, after plugins, eqs, People will tell that they only listen they just trust there ears, yeah okay well im going to view 5 meters and know that my rms is 1db out that the sub is 0.5db too high visually but im also going to listen lol
6. that acutal note of the sub, they say that F is the most powerful sub note at that freq on big systems, this is a difficult thing to judge as all speakers have different sub cut offs and peak at different levels of the sub spectrum, though just trust that info, i know my sub at home peaks at F# (couldnt make the sharp note on the keyboard ha) but on big focal sm9's they peak at much much lower like E and D, so when i go and mix on them i have a g note im like, theres no power... but those speakers are mastering speakers and a lot of money, its just there sub is not flat.
7. listen on every system available, cans, speakers and subs, then just the sub, car, i sometimes go to a single 80's bose high fi speaker in mono to get an idea, Id like to replace that with a avantone one day
8. time... haha, the worst one to hear, spend time learning you own skillset, still watch vids and tuts as much as you can but one day your own discoveries will benefit you more than other peoples...

Pan your sub to the left, send to a mono bus, pan that bus to the right, send to a master bus, pan to the left.

Apply Wonwowow Zuado.

Hey presto!

Supasub

Quote, noisia and hazard colab militant technique. lol i never know if these comments are acutally written as a joke, like was it a joke, ie, a funny forum comment? I mean, in a passive cinema environment, the sub channels are of a 7.2 and they have phaze differences within each sub to stop clashes, like, you do pan subs mate. nah im joking, see, joking, funny haha

Back
Top Bottom