Big Drums? Cubase LE 4

Osime

Official Japanese Student
VIP Junglist
Another drum question for everyone. This time it's for dubstep. How do those nuskool guys get those MASSIVE drums? I've tried just about everything that I have in my power to get those and to no avail! Any help would be great, even if you use a different DAW than I. Just put the explanation down in words that could be construed as universal.

I need to do this wub wubWUB WUB WUB:sick: when I hear my tracks.

its about creating the illusion of phatness, rather than a simple method of beefiness .. if you know what i mean..

some ideas to maybe have a look into if you havent already :

-compression on your drums
-parallel compression on your drums
-sidechain compression on sounds and bass to make way for your drums
-simply turn your other elements of the track down around your drums
-of course it all starts with the drum samples your using

thats all i can think of for now hope that kinda helps a little

its about creating the illusion of phatness, rather than a simple method of beefiness .. if you know what i mean..

I like doing this alot. It can really make them sound beefier than a roast. Its just down to practise and a lot of trial and error.

whats parralel compression? when you layer the same drum track over itself but one is compressed to smithereens and the other is quite dry?

guna say... i find for snares, i nice powerful low sounding one for weight, a snappy clap type sound for pop and a splashy/long release one (maybe very very light reverb) to give it the right 'feel'...

i find compressing the snares together takes away from the original sound, maybe a very very light bit to tighten it up but definatly on the gentle side!

Compress or limit individual elements before you send them to the drum bus so the release time on the compressor doesn't affect everything else. Try using Classic Master Limiter, or such on the kick and snare tracks before the bus. I'm experimenting with keeping the kick at -6db and using the limiter to push the sound a bit.

Not only parallel compression, but also try parallel sends to distortion (camelphat or the like), high pass filter to reverb, a degrade/bit reduction plug, whatever. Depends on the sound you want. Then feed these back in to the main drum bus, even down at -25db, -30db, play around til it sounds good. The on the master bus I'm trying a slight compression to tie all these together into Master Limiter. Not sure if I really need the Limiter here, but I've been leaving it at 0 and then later when the bass and all are singing along have a play with a couple of db limit, trial and error.

Still experimenting with this but I was asking the same question as you a while back and this is just what I'm trying now.

I've heard of sidechaining, but I'm not quite sure what it does or how to use it. BTW, thanks everyone who posted some help on this.

I've heard of sidechaining, but I'm not quite sure what it does or how to use it. BTW, thanks everyone who posted some help on this.

All that sidechain compression achieves is a pumping sound. Say you have a constant bass tone, you can apply sidechain compression from the kick drum to the bassline so everytime the kick drum is triggered the bass line's volume will duck. This creates the illusion that the bass line is pumping.

Check the second drop of Breakage - Higher for the perfect example of sidechain compression of a kick and snare drum on a bassline.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom