Beyerdynamic DT990 250ohms Question

Komatosednb

Hi,

I bought a pair of the DT990s a couple of months ago to use in conjunction with my Focusrite 2i2 interface.

The problem I'm having is that the volume from headphone output to the cans is really quiet, I have to crank it up to 100% for critical listening but i still feel that they aren't quite loud enough.

Is this down to the impedance of the headphone output? I've google searched it but people seem to have varying results.

Do i need a headphone amp or a new audio interface to properly drive the cans? anyone else experience something similar?

Hi, i own the same Headphones
When i connect it to my PC i crank it up to 50% and i have a great volume to produce and listen (mastered track)

Try different devices, usually the problem is the 250ohm impedance..

Try different devices, usually the problem is the 250ohm impedance..
Not really. The problem is the device that the headphone is connected not having enough power to drive the cans.

The unusual about OP's problem is that he's connecting it to an audio interface, which should have enough power to drive it.

Not really. The problem is the device that the headphone is connected not having enough power to drive the cans.

The unusual about OP's problem is that he's connecting it to an audio interface, which should have enough power to drive it.
I explained wrong..
The fact is that the headphones has 250ohms of impedance, therefore the devices need more power..
Headphone's preamps will solve this problem.
But I'm able to produce and listen music without it and with the same headphone!
So maybe the problem come from the audio interface that he's using.
My 2 cent is to try the headphone in different devices and understand what is the problem..

What audio interface are you using? You should be able to find its impedance online and figure out if you need an additional pre amp from there.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm using a Focusrite 2i2 to drive the cans. As Evez dropping said, he's using the same interface with the 770s and they seem to be fine.

A google search has provided mixed results for me.

The headphones aren't unusable, I'm still able to produce stuff, but i don't like having to crank the headphone output up to 100% just to hear my mix down properly. I tried them using my DJ mixer and I don't seem to have the same problem.

It's the 250 ohm impedence. I have the 2i2 and 770 limited edition @ 32 ohms, which I deliberately chose because I read reviews about the 2i2's headphone output not being overly powerful. But tbh, at least you won't go deaf with what you've got

Back
Top Bottom