Best way to get your music to the DJ's/Labels

Ian_x

Ez guys, I have been making beats for a while now but have only recently started to get stuff to a level where people are saying its good enough to send out.

So, what are the best ways you have found to get your music heard. I have a myspace but I think these days everyone just accepts your friend request without checking your page a lot of the time. I have sent messages on myspace and facebook to DJs with sendspace links or asking what is the best way to get tracks to them and have heard nothing and can see that no one is downloading the tracks. I have sent links to a few labels and producers/djs emails too but again they have not been downloaded. I have a few AIM addresses but I hardly ever get a reply and they dont accept the tracks when I try and transfer them.

I appreciate that people are busy and probably get 100's of messages and tunes everyweek. So how did you do it??

Thanks for any info

Cheers

there is a thread about aim addy's for some labels
also some have soundcloud drop boxes
go to my label and drop one in
link in the sig

one thing to do is make the sickest fuckin beats possible and get some cash behind you, get your own vinyls pressed and sleaved and deliver them yourself or get a distribution firm in, and try to get direct public interest and your name in peoples mouths
another is to get some dollars and start your own label doing above aswell

another could be to go to specific nights and get your face about where you know producers / label dudes are hanging out, get to know em and pimp your beats that way.

play on pirates
play on internet radio
get support from your local community too
possibly stage your own small events, gain support and rep your stuff
start a web page, a proper one where peeps can download quality
advertise!

im gonna do all of it!

I just use AIM mate, manage to send peeps quite a few bits in the past but do get ignored aswell, you just have to keep asking

one thing to do is make the sickest fuckin beats possible and get some cash behind you, get your own vinyls pressed and sleaved and deliver them yourself or get a distribution firm in, and try to get direct public interest and your name in peoples mouths
another is to get some dollars and start your own label doing above aswell

another could be to go to specific nights and get your face about where you know producers / label dudes are hanging out, get to know em and pimp your beats that way.

play on pirates
play on internet radio
get support from your local community too
possibly stage your own small events, gain support and rep your stuff
start a web page, a proper one where peeps can download quality
advertise!

im gonna do all of it!

All of this.

init, personally i would cut all the label people out (if you have a sellable product of course)
and get some money and front it myself. they;ll soon be asking you for tracks when they see your a force to be reckoned with all by your todd. never pander to anyone. if its one thing that people do like, its to see others doing as much as they can on there own and being motivated. this gains respect
look how Goldie started up, made a track he believed in, paid for his own pressings, sat in all day with Kemistry & storm and put stamps on all the vinyls. busted his ass going round rec shops pimping the tracks. = direct public interest. no A&R men, no fronty label stuff, just a belief in the music he'd made , an idea and a few grand.

sold a few thousand copys, put the cash back into forming metalheadz

and..... BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!!! cos if you dont, how do expect anyone else too

go for it man

I just use AIM mate, manage to send peeps quite a few bits in the past but do get ignored aswell, you just have to keep asking

I just started this shameless self-promotion demo sending thing via AIM. The best thing so far I've heard back from a tune is "We like more 'hit' style of tracks".

wtf lol? but at least they bothered to listen and say thanks but no thanks, which is more that can be said about a lot of labels.

Another way is to get to know dj's that tour around and hand them your tunes. If people like the tune, word will get around and you start gaining a "name" for yourself, which in turn will help when you send demos to labels.

do wat i did an wait ages for sum one to ask u to be on there label!lol
it takes time and patience
also if its jump up tunes u got send em to dirty needle i sent one an got a reply from sensa dint want it but gave me some pointers an to keep on goin an get back to em!

Last edited:
Alright man, make a press pack. Thats the way i did it in my old band and we got signed straight away by a decent label:
Include a Cd - most labels will listen to the first 15 seconds of songs and switch off.. have good intro's, well produced etc.
Photos - Professional looking photos are good.
Bio - What you've been up to.. labels like to see you're working hard, tour dates etc.
Get vinyl pressed - its not hard nowadays, i've written a few tunes and had a few pressed. There's companies in germany that press cheap vinyl. Put em in local shops and send them off with your press pack too.
Radio shows, promotion etc - do as much as you can to get your tunes heard, if you end up playing a gig with some well known DJ's, give em your vinyl with a mini press pack in the sleeve.
You don't always need to sign to other labels.
Me and a friend work in promotion and have started our own label with our own nights in Manchester. Its easy to do and you have control over everything.. Register it as a business and work hard and most of all enjoy it.

Also, is there any way I can listen to the track? Drop me a message.. I can hook you up with a few people including ourselves. :)

make mix tapes, and distribute on the street. Have flashy cover art with diamonds and rims mostly. Also explosions/flames behind the people (you). On the intro, have it say with 2 seconds of delay, and lots of feedback "YOUr name" etc...

I just started this shameless self-promotion demo sending thing via AIM. The best thing so far I've heard back from a tune is "We like more 'hit' style of tracks".

wtf lol? but at least they bothered to listen and say thanks but no thanks, which is more that can be said about a lot of labels.

Another way is to get to know dj's that tour around and hand them your tunes. If people like the tune, word will get around and you start gaining a "name" for yourself, which in turn will help when you send demos to labels.
spunds like they only want tracks that are gonna go straightto number 1.

Go to a cutting house and get your tunes pressed onto vinyl.

Then go to the next big rave with big name DJ's and stand in the centre of the dancefloor.

Then during a breakdown, hurl your vinyl presses at the DJ's face, Shaun Of The Dead stylee.

Back
Top Bottom