Best vinyls to learn to mix with.........??

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by 5AMBO, Jul 13, 2010.

1. 5AMBO

5AMBO New Member

Hi there,

I have just got my first set up and have a few vinyls borrowed from a mate but I have no idea where to start as far as mixing is concerned and what vinyls to use to learn mixing with. I pressume some would be easier than others.

Was just wondering if peeps could suggest a few combinations of easy vinyls to mix in and out of so I can get started without making the job harder for myself than it needs to be to begin with.

Also.............if you experts out there had just one tip for the beginner, what would it be?

2. djmotiondnb

djmotiondnb AKA Tactician

Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    maybe try copying someone elses set?

main thing you gotta understand is with drum and bass you got to listen out for the snares and try and match the snares from one tune with the snares of another..

but obviously theyll be intros without snares and irregular patterns bla bla bla

just practise mate really its the only thing that we can tell you.. its frustrating at first but one day it will click

if you love it enough youll learn no problem

3. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

you a fan of jump up? if you are mix a few jump up tunes are they are probably the easiest mate

4. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

try find tunes with a beat on the intro an also look for tunes with the same structure like 32 bar intro etc

5. Thin and crispy

Thin and crispy Active Member

hmmm, preferably find 2 tracks the same speed thats always handy!
    learn the bars of your tracks, i.e. |K|H|H|H|S|H|H|H|H|H|K|H|K|H|H|H| (K=kick, S=snare,H=hi-hats etc) Standard Beat/bar breakdown in DnB, you will probably already recognise this...
    Most tracks follow a 16 bar 'rule', i wont go into too much detail but you'll either already recognise it or pick it up pretty fast...
    When releasing your cue'd record if your not getting it right, a nice preperation thing i like to do, obviously start at the beginning of the first bar at the point you want them to mix (if that makes sense) stop your record before the kick, have your kick right behind the needle so when you push your record forward you can hear it clearly and can find it readily, then a few bars (on the record thats playing) before the point you want to release your cue'd vinyl just push the kick in at the same time as the one thats playing, get the rhythm of it and then release it when u intend...
    REALY hoping this is making sense! lol... I find it extremely handy when starting a track from the begining which may not have a beat to match or during the break of a track..
    When you come to pitching tracks to make them the same speed, make sure you release your track in the right place, then listen very carefuly and depending on wether its faster or slower, either stop the track very slightly (just kinda brush the record backwards very lightly) and pitch down if its too fast, or nudge the track forwards and pitch up if its too slow, keep doing this until u no longer have to nudge or stop, u'll probably find just listening to the tracks together and trying to work out which is faster or slower is a bit of a ball ache and is probably just gonna frustrate you! alternatively go on chemical records find the BPM's for the tracks and then just do it that way and get used to how far up or down your pitch adjuster needs to be for like 1 BPM, 2 BPM faster or slower etc! its not cheating to check the BPM's! if your adamant on learning without looking, i've found having a kind of 'anchor' track helps alot, a track with a nice steady beat thats clear and u deffiantly know the bpm (i use 1 at 175) then just compare all your other tracks to it and learn the BPM's that way... i recommend this way cos i do it myself and it sticks longer in the noggin, i know the BPM's roughly of all the tracks i currently have doing this.

I've only been at it a month or so myself but i'd say im pretty competant now and these are just little things i've picked up myself to make things easier, i hope it all makes sense too lol. and im not saying you have to do all that, just stuff i find that helps me :)

6. 5AMBO

5AMBO New Member

thanks for the responses guys, didnt expect that many or that quickly. lots of good advice there to take on board. Being a beginner is very daunting, like stepping into the unkown. Im determined though and I know once I get going I will prob end up staying up all night till i get it right.lol

7. Thin and crispy

your first propper sucessful mix is an amazing feeling :D enjoy!!!

8. 5AMBO

5AMBO New Member

I suppose the thing is, surely its not that easy to know when you have sucessfuly mixed when youre listening to both tunes at the same time.

My next question is..........how do you build the confidence to mix in front of ppl? I mean, mates who can already do it for a start etc.

9. Thin and crispy

lol u'll know :p

some1 else can asnwer ur other question cos im not there myself yet :p

10. Scatcat

Scatcat It don't mean shit

just buy vinyl and mix - there's no shortcut - the longer you play the better you'll get - go for the hardest possible mixes you can find and don't stop till you've got em - try mixing favela beat (mite be a bit difficult to find) with grime - or like pop song accapelas with dub. May sound a bit wierd but the techniques you'll pick up after doing that for a year will be tech-tastic

Obviously mix dnb and whatever else you so choose but don't limit yourself brother

11. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

i wish i could go back to my very first mix, awesome feeling!

12. SmallVictoriez

SmallVictoriez Teen Pop Sensation

I've still got mine in the form of mp3.. it sounds like shit, I felt like a rock star though.

13. Lunos

Lunos Active Member

practice makes permanent my friend

14. dizzzeejungle

dizzzeejungle Junglist Down Under..

Tracks like spectrasoul - Alibi that have a really clear basic drum pattern intro

Probably avoid stuff with chopped amens and all that for a while, it might throw u off !

15. 5AMBO

5AMBO New Member

Ok.........so I been waiting for a replacement stylus for my decks so that I can get learning and it arrived today so fitted it, feeling pretty excited and then was like "holy shit, am I being completely stupid", I cant find where to plug the headphones in.....? Blatently gonna get slated for this but Im struggling here.lol.

16. hazdaman100

hazdaman100 Bum 'n Face

Subfocus tracks, all the same speed, nice loud drums, very easy to mix as they hold their pitch

17. Lunos

Lunos Active Member

i learned to mix with Valley of the shadows and Planet Dust. repeatedly clanging them together for weeks and weeks. then something clicked and that was it

practice hard my friend

18. hazdaman100

hazdaman100 Bum 'n Face

Baron - Turn up the sun, and Brookes brothers - dawn tredder i think was my first mix

19. Thin and crispy

What mixer do you have? lol

20. hazdaman100

hazdaman100 Bum 'n Face

?