Best tunes to end a set with?

Forau

VIP Junglist
We've got the best tunes to start a set with, thought ending a set with the right tracks is just as important.

Whats yours?

Ive only played out twice, and i finished with

Special K - Pressure Roll
and
Phace & Misanthrop - Desert Orgy.

Both went down reallllyyyy well.

Break ft. Calyx & Teebee - Don't Look Down, Loadstar - BLVD, Craggz & Parallel Forces - Turn The Page, Stray - Frost, Apex - Inner Space, S.P.Y - By Your Side, Niton - The Reason (Sigma Remix)...those I've used. It depends on the other tunes you were playing of course :)

Cheesey, i know! but...

Ray Charles - Hit the road jack (kubrak remix)
Deflkine & ed solo - King of the bongo/ manu chau original

both tracks are jokes!

I agree that it's a really important aspect of mixing and one which is overlooked far too often (eg. I once heard a DJ end a set by playing out Machete...:tosser: fair play to the guy though for finding probably the worst possible track to end a set on ever, must've taken some thought :razz: )

Personally I always like to end my studio sets with something a bit more laidback, almost "pensive" sounding. A lot of the tracks Gemini suggested I'd agree with, I also find a lot of Instra:mental's tunes to be really good set closers (eg. their remix of Japanese Electronics from Recall to Mind, also From the Start and Photograph).

Playing live I guess it depends on what kinda vibe you've been trying to create (and what you've been getting back), but stuff like BLVD and mostly anything by Dirtyphonics I think is a bit more relaxed without being too "out there".

id love to play the doors - when the music is over as the very last tune in the early morning

ive always planned as i mix fidget to end with this track if i was playing a closing set

Squire of Gothos - Till da morning

its the last track on their scorpian things lp and finishes the album off nicely

I agree that it's a really important aspect of mixing and one which is overlooked far too often (eg. I once heard a DJ end a set by playing out Machete...:tosser: fair play to the guy though for finding probably the worst possible track to end a set on ever, must've taken some thought :razz: )

Personally I always like to end my studio sets with something a bit more laidback, almost "pensive" sounding. A lot of the tracks Gemini suggested I'd agree with, I also find a lot of Instra:mental's tunes to be really good set closers (eg. their remix of Japanese Electronics from Recall to Mind, also From the Start and Photograph).

Playing live I guess it depends on what kinda vibe you've been trying to create (and what you've been getting back), but stuff like BLVD and mostly anything by Dirtyphonics I think is a bit more relaxed without being too "out there".

tbf though well known dj's will just use their last tune as a way of promoting their new track

ended with this recently and it went down pretty damn well, i normally go as far away from laidback as possible for last tune tbh

Last edited by a moderator:
i recon machete would go down as a last track, if you double dropped it twice with tune that mix really well with it ofc... :)

I'd say this one. And you could even come back for another episode the following week.

I ended a set with Distance - Delight recently. Went over really well, tied the mix together real nice.

I always try to end a mix with something real chill like.

This is a good point actually, nothing been said about this. imo you could use tunes like in the "Best tunes to start a set with?" thread but if we are refering to playing out then a last tune has gotta be something different, loud, nasty and all things that make a screw face.. Ending on a mellow tune is silly really if playing live, but this does depend on set time etc..

Stuff i've been using as outros recently are drumstep tracks funnily enough..

Ending on a mellow tune is silly really if playing live, but this does depend on set time etc...

Also depends on what you're playing out, as you obviously aren't going to go from something like Friendly Intentions to ending with a chilled autonomic style one. Overall I agree though, in a planned mix at home you have more opportunity to pick all the right tunes and make a journey of it, where as you can't plan as well with a live mix so going out with a bang is the preferred route.

As far as planned mixes go I've actual built tracklists in reverse starting with the song I want to be the ending and finding a song that it will mix into, repeating the process until I have a full mix, it's a process that's given me some pleasing results.

Back
Top Bottom