Best Studio Equipment!

JungleFever

VIP Junglist
Ive been producing for 1 year and its finally time to start building a studio in my room. Ive brought a 20" Apple iMac computer, and logic which I will have by tomorow night, I now need to decide about the speakers and midi keyboard.

Speakers: I was thinking Adam a7's when i next get paid as all ive heard is good shit.

- Or get a pair of decent mackies.

Midi Keyboard - I dont even know where to start?

anyone think of any other must haves apart from amp etc?

cheers boys!

apparently the adam a7x dont have much sub going on, the mackies are supposed to be a better solution

---------- Post added at 13:53 ---------- Previous post was at 13:52 ----------

m-audio axiom midi controllers are good, theres one that automaps to logic

cheers mate!

---------- Post added at 11:17 ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 ----------

is a launch pad or midi controller a must?

its a keyboard m8
http://www.korg.com/microkey

havent got one myself but i was going to buy it as my oxygen 49 is 2 big for my desk

USB MIDI keyboard – thin, lightweight, and USB-powered

37 velocity-sensitive mini keys

Comfortable and easy-to-play Natural Touch keyboard

Octave Shift and Key Transpose features access the full MIDI note range

Pitch Bend and Modulation wheels add expression to your performance

Dual USB ports are ideal for adding Korg's nanoPAD or nanoKONTROL
(or other USB devices) to your setup

Natural Touch mini keyboard
The microKEY features 37 velocity-sensing mini keys, using the same Natural Touch keybed found on the Korg microKORG XL and microSTATION. This keybed has been designed with careful attention to the touch and feel. The proportions of the black keys and white "waterfall" keys have been adjusted for optimal playability, and the key touch makes it easy to play chords, glissandos, and rapid-fire phrases. The microKEY accurately conveys the dynamics of your performance to any software plug in.

Extended Range and Expression
The Octave Shift buttons extend the range of the microKEY by four octaves in either direction – up or down. The Key Transpose allows you to play in any key instantly. Used together, these two features provide access to the entire MIDI note range. For adding tasty expression to your performance, the microKEY is also equipped with both a Pitch Bend wheel and a Modulation wheel.

USB versatility
Your new microKEY serves double-duty as a USB hub. The two USB ports (Type A) allow you to expand your custom control center by adding on a Korg nanoPAD or nanoKONTROL – or any other USB device!

I would strongly recommend auditioning the Focal CMS 50 (or 65, the first being 5inch the latter 5inch)

I liked them better than the ADAMs, since they have a great low end and are super honest.

When it come's down to MIDI - Ever thought about getting a multitouch screen? They are getitng really cheap (150euros and up in for 21inch in NL) And with all the great UI software its the most versatile option for the money.

---------- Post added at 14:02 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

apparently the adam a7x dont have much sub going on, the mackies are supposed to be a better solution

---------- Post added at 13:53 ---------- Previous post was at 13:52 ----------

m-audio axiom midi controllers are good, theres one that automaps to logic

Yeah I hear that recommendation a lot. Personally I did not like the stereo image and they sounded hyped compared to the Focals and Dynaudio's (to my ears anyway)

U got this? is it worth the money?

no not yet - was going to buy them next week as my oxygen 49 is just too large - want something smaller.
Korg is a good brand name - should be good.
it doesnt have any faders though - but for £69 looks like a nice solid keyboard

nice one mate they look pretty sweet

---------- Post added at 13:30 ---------- Previous post was at 13:14 ----------

Focal CMS 50 - found this forum that put me off them - http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/524282-focal-cms-50-warning-2.html

Well unless you live in a country where focal has no dealers you'll be fine. There's always gonna be threads like this about any product. A small % of mass produced items will always have flaws.

I actually read some really good reviews on gearlsutz, and ended up buying them a year ago. Never regretted my purchase for a second.

how did you work this one out?

im not saying you can't get a flat response on passive speakers, but every component you add (eg. amp) you add colour to the audio signal and so unless you have top dollar to spend on your set up, active studio monitors would generally be a better choice for producing in order to get the flattest freq. response possible

im not saying you can't get a flat response on passive speakers, but every component you add (eg. amp) you add colour to the audio signal and so unless you have top dollar to spend on your set up, active studio monitors would generally be a better choice for producing in order to get the flattest freq. response possible

You say this like active speakers don't have amps. Amps built into speaker cabinets are going to be more expensive to develop, and a lot of companies will build down to a price, so you can end up with worse quality at lower price ranges. Theres positive and negative sides to both active and passive, but its not a a straight forward argument. I'd also argue that at the lower end of the price range, your not going to be getting the absolute best response anyway, so to an extent, its more the practical benefits that would make me choose active monitors over passive.

Back
Top Bottom