Best soft synths

nowwhichway

Just wondering what synths people use. I'm trying to ge tto grips with v station and bass station. I've got absynth but its too hardcore. Anyone got any recommendations...?

nowwhichway said:
Just wondering what synths people use. I'm trying to ge tto grips with v station and bass station. I've got absynth but its too hardcore. Anyone got any recommendations...?
Most used are probably Z3ta+ and the 3xOsc in FLStudio.

I'm not really much of a synth man TBH.

sdm said:
Mainly, yes.

There's nothing like a good set of samples, pisses on any VST synth IMO if you want dirt without using hardware.

If you want it real clean it's another story but VSTs are too clean I reckon.

At the end of the day, its all down to how you use synths, not so much which one is "better"

In a test for synth enthusiasts they were given samples from different synths and were asked to guess what it was

There was one where people had guessed it was a Juno, or minimoog or something and loads of other shitz but it turned out to be the subtractor from reason!!

Will try and find a link for that, fairly instresting points made...

you could always take tiny samples of tunes and loop them on a sampler with decent synthesis techniques you can make a wicked tone without buying anything

but this could be a whole new topic on-gard
:dual:

I'm a big synth head mainly producing psy (but g r a d u a l l y escaping)

Get the impOSCar from GMedia. Amazing filter, amazing oscillators. Big BIG BIIIIIIG sound from only two oscs. Does clean. does dirty, does everything inbetween.

ooooooooor.

Reaktor. Hardcore!

I use alot of synths by Aturia (Arp 2600, Yamaha CS80, Moog Modular etc.), also the Novation Bass Station and TS404 in FL, which i think is one of the most friendly user inerfaces, but still remains uniquily customizable

the bass station is wak v-station is much better but get a virus a reator kontakt or as you said imposcar cheep as chips and

:dutty:

too !

Its all down to how user friendly the set up is..sound quality is kinda expected....After a while you sorta find that most synths have similar presets to an extent, so I guess its how easy it is to suss how to make your own sounds....
Bung it through a guitar amp if its too clean...haven't tried this myself 4 a while, but will be soon.....
Samples are a good way too, especially if you can find a well known sample but use so nobody even realises...(y)
Liking ALbino, Zeta is great if you want jump up.

Although it's down to personal taste, the best soft synth, without a doubt has to be Absynth 3. The power you get from the envelopes is stupid! You can get bass sounding sweet by adding pipe delay + waveshape, and it has lot's of other cool features like you can draw your own waves (either by editing harmonics or the waveform itself), several types of osc's (single/double, fm, ringmod, sample, granular and fractalize) and it's in surround.

If you want dirt I'd suggest getting Izotope Ozone (multiband mastering), Vinyl (simulates vinyl and is free) and Trash (sweet for distortion).
also NI make an app called guitar rig which is pretty good for processing bass and drums (or is that drums and bass...)...
etc etc

Back
Top Bottom