Best programs for recording mixes...

D-A-JayQuikness

Hi all hope the festive period is treating you well and i trust everyone is gearing up for a crazy new year :)

Anyhoo i had a question and didnt know where other than here to post it... Basically i have begun to record more of my mixes i wanted to know what is the best program i can use to get the highest quality i.e 320...

The other mixes i have recorded have been on vinyl and are not all that great and the quality is really shabby but it was a hassle enough to get the thing recording so i was just happy enough to get something recored and didnt really care about quality...

Anyway i just got bought Serato SL4 a few months ago and have been recording shit every now and then... Basically i was just wondering what would be the best software to use to record my mixes and get the highest sound quality??

I currently use Audacity and am about to get my friends interface for a bit and want to know how to get the higher quality for my mixes as Audacity currently exports them at like 128kbps... There is a recording feature on the serato but my friend said it is shit and that i shouldnt use it....

Any and all help is greatly appreciated :)

Peace
Jay

Audacity will export as any format you ask it to (assuming you have the right encoders installed), if it can export to 128 mp3 then it can export to 320 mp3, you just have to change the settings

If it wont allow you to do that (dont see why it wuldnt), then export as WAV, which is CD quality (uncompressed), then use a program like WinLAME to convert it to MP3.

Also get hold of a program called MP3TAG so you can edit the mp3 information like artist/track name etc

I doubt the recording feature of Serato is 'shit' tbh, but I have never used it so cant comment, you ought to try these things out rather than relying on what other people tell ya. Recording Audio is an entirly diffrent process to encoding as MP3, so if your mate consider serato to be shit because its giving him low-quality MP3s, then the problem is how Serato is setup, not the program itself, same goes for Audacity, its a great program, when used properly

Audacity will export as any format you ask it to (assuming you have the right encoders installed), if it can export to 128 mp3 then it can export to 320 mp3, you just have to change the settings

If it wont allow you to do that (dont see why it wuldnt), then export as WAV, which is CD quality (uncompressed), then use a program like WinLAME to convert it to MP3.

Also get hold of a program called MP3TAG so you can edit the mp3 information like artist/track name etc

I doubt the recording feature of Serato is 'shit' tbh, but I have never used it so cant comment, you ought to try these things out rather than relying on what other people tell ya. Recording Audio is an entirly diffrent process to encoding as MP3, so if your mate consider serato to be shit because its giving him low-quality MP3s, then the problem is how Serato is setup, not the program itself, same goes for Audacity, its a great program, when used properly

I don't know which version you got, but when i export a window pops up to fill in all ID3 data... So no need for the MP3tag prog.

Ahhh i see.... I would ask how to do this but i havnt even got the interface from my friend yet so it would be pointless to ask when i dont even have all the details yet... I always thought you had to have a speciall program...

Once i get the interface i will fuck around with it a bit and if i cant find how to encode it to 320 as you say i will post again and seek some help :)

Thanks again

Peace Jay

Last edited:

Right just a quick update i managed to get my interface all set up and i started using Audacity but had problems with interference i could hear myself on the laptop and the quality was shit... So i tried the recording feature on searto and it is really good :)

Also found out how to export Mp3 files to 320 using Audacity, hopefully this helps someone esle because everything i found on the internet said you could change the quality in the prefrence's but in the Audacity(Beta version) you cant.. What you have to do is export your file and when you are choosing to name it there is a little options box at the side and thats where you choose wether you want 320/198/128... Most of you probably know this but hopefully i helps someone else.. :)

Happy New Year to all :)

[/B]

Right just a quick update i managed to get my interface all set up and i started using Audacity but had problems with interference i could hear myself on the laptop and the quality was shit... So i tried the recording feature on searto and it is really good :)

Also found out how to export Mp3 files to 320 using Audacity, hopefully this helps someone esle because everything i found on the internet said you could change the quality in the prefrence's but in the Audacity(Beta version) you cant.. What you have to do is export your file and when you are choosing to name it there is a little options box at the side and thats where you choose wether you want 320/198/128... Most of you probably know this but hopefully i helps someone else.. :)

Happy New Year to all :)

haha, you have to select which input you wanna record. Standard is the built in mic from your laptop. That's the problem you had with audacity :) I wouldn't think twice about what to use to record...

Back
Top Bottom