best of 2011 mix evasion

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
ez guys here my attempt at best of 2011.... its not as varied as I first planned on taking it... i also couldnt find a tune while mixing and so not all this is planned.
this is m first attempt, its not as tight as id like it but hopefully the errors arent too much to spoil it... i need to stop trying to double drop with cack intros or not enough time!
recorded on 3 decks although there 3rd deck was mainly used to have next track queued i rarely have 3 decks spinning.

First contact
obsession
catch 22
arrows
Footloose
the editor
mainframe
snorkel
back in the grind remix
xtrah contortion
Off the inception EP
Jubei + kasra rift
Hold it
Transmission
Core
spinline ???
Cementary
pulp fiction
arise
Patience vip
narrow eyes
Labrynth
Off skepticals blue eyes EP
Slow down vip
>>Lunar bass
brainstorm
Program
prototypes
whats wrong

all feedback appreciated :D

---------- Post added at 19:03 ---------- Previous post was at 18:52 ----------

also apologies about the tracklist im not sure of some of the names and am too lazy im sure you'll know what they are :)

Last edited:
First contact
obsession - raw mix mate, really good, vocals sat perfectly over the bassline.
catch 22 - good again, thought maybe you could have left obsession in a little longer but thats me
arrows - came out of nowhere a little bit for me but sounded good
footloose - big tune, felt it overpowered arrows a little too much
editor - other way round to how i did it but sounds very nice this way too!
mainframe - liked the cheeky vocal switch at the start - nice mix again
snorkel - good mix, although thought there was a little bit too much going on imo
BITG - nice, although maybe more volume on snorkel, did sound good though
(went to cook food so missed a little bit)
cemetery
pulp fiction - sounded good, vocals worked well
arise - yes liked this a lot! such a big tune as well
patience vip - again nice, really liked how the drums went together
narrow eyes - sounded a bit overpowered in the mix with patience, vocals needed to come through a bit more i think
labrynth - hench tune
blue eyes ep, seemed to lose the energy a bit imo
slow down vip - nice one cutting it to let the vocals do their bit, gives the mix some breathing space
lunar bass - been doing this mix with the original for aages, sounds top, nice one on the double as well
brainstorm - nice mix, bass from brainstorm worked really well!
program - good mix again, maybe a bass switch or two here or there?
terrestrial - yes nice mix, sat together well liked how program still came through clearly
whats wrong - sounded very slightly out at first but corrected quickly, maybe a bit more high to push terrestrials drums through more over the top..

all in all a very good mix man, mixings tight and selection is spot on, very nice

First contact
obsession - raw mix mate, really good, vocals sat perfectly over the bassline.
catch 22 - good again, thought maybe you could have left obsession in a little longer but thats me
arrows - came out of nowhere a little bit for me but sounded good
footloose - big tune, felt it overpowered arrows a little too much
editor - other way round to how i did it but sounds very nice this way too!
mainframe - liked the cheeky vocal switch at the start - nice mix again
snorkel - good mix, although thought there was a little bit too much going on imo
BITG - nice, although maybe more volume on snorkel, did sound good though
(went to cook food so missed a little bit)
cemetery
pulp fiction - sounded good, vocals worked well
arise - yes liked this a lot! such a big tune as well
patience vip - again nice, really liked how the drums went together
narrow eyes - sounded a bit overpowered in the mix with patience, vocals needed to come through a bit more i think
labrynth - hench tune
blue eyes ep, seemed to lose the energy a bit imo
slow down vip - nice one cutting it to let the vocals do their bit, gives the mix some breathing space
lunar bass - been doing this mix with the original for aages, sounds top, nice one on the double as well
brainstorm - nice mix, bass from brainstorm worked really well!
program - good mix again, maybe a bass switch or two here or there?
terrestrial - yes nice mix, sat together well liked how program still came through clearly
whats wrong - sounded very slightly out at first but corrected quickly, maybe a bit more high to push terrestrials drums through more over the top..

all in all a very good mix man, mixings tight and selection is spot on, very nice

thanks man, i would have liked to have done it again not rushing for the DD at times and maybe taking the blue eyes track after labrynth out..

all good practice tho and im glad u liked it!

the intro mix is probably my favourite out of the whole mix, the last section was a bit rushed too and unplanned cos i thought id of filled the hour already!

going to make the next one more varied try going through different styles!

cheers again mate

So I've finally came across this one :)

Obsession - sick double, really feeling it...there's basically nothing I would have done differently, perfect mix to start with
Catch 22 - I agree with J here, might have let Obsession to blend a little longer, but again you've nailed it
Arrows - would like it to poke more during the breakdown of Catch 22, sounded wicked on the drop, drums sits over it perfectly
Footloose - seemed slightly off on the drop, maybe because of different drum patterns. was sick on the second phrase with all those arrow swishes poking through, nice mix
Editor - would have gone for bass switched the other way to keep the momentum of Footloose drums myself. also the cut off was a bit harsh because of the vocals on Footloose coming at the first beat of the phrase
Mainframe - I thought my player skipped something at the first vocal switch! :D anyways nicely done
Snorkel - was never a huge fan of this tune, I much prefer S.P.Y's remix (needs a release asap imo). blended nicely, too much mid-range noises poking through though
Back In The Grind Remix - really swish mix, got it moving nicely
Contortion - one of the biggest releases of 2011. drums on this one are tricky though, there aren't much tunes which blend really well with it. mixed well, but not my cuppa tea
Flex - slightly off on the drop, but wicked afterwards. really liked this one! I need to bag this EP, looks like I've failed big time not to have it already
The Rift - again a little bit tricky tune to mix. was nice, those vocal samples poking through
Hold It - very nice mix, another tune I should bag
Transmission - that bass before the drop came out of nowhere, was a little bit too loud, but sounded really cool on the drop. love this tune, well done!
Core - rude mix. you've managed to get that slip right very quickly, loving this part mate!
can't remember the ID of that Spinline tune - cool mix
Cemetery - didn't like that one to be honest. drum patterns were too different to work together nicely, there were also some clashing
Pulp Fiction (Lynx Edit) - interesting switch of the mood, slightly off on the drop, but sounded cool afterwards, harmonies blended well. would have let Cemetery to fade out a little bit longer because of those vocals
Arise - really love this tune, this blend worked out for me, good job
Patience VIP - another favourite of mine, you've absolutely nailed this one mate!
Narrow Eyes - sounds nicely, but vocals needs more room to breathe for sure
Labyrinth - sounded really wicked on the breakdown, but again those Narrow Eyes vocals are desperetaly trying to poke through
Dub Sequence - actually I quite liked this one, worked well together, you could have let Labyrinth fade out for a little longer though
Slow Down VIP - came in out of nowhere, would have liked more bringing it in slightly through the Dub Sequence, cut off was cool though
Lunar Bass (Commix Remix) - not bad, Slow Down VIP is a bitch to blend though because of those drums, not many tunes sounds well with it, wouldn't drop those two together myself to be honest
Brainstorm - now that's more like it, this tune sounds really huge in the mix (on a side note and just between us: try Slow Down VIP with Creeper if you have it, those two works a treat)
Program - wicked tune, sounded nicely, would have boost mids on Program a little and decrease mids on Brainstorm a little though
Subterrestrial - been dropping this myself, you've nailed it! also I'd say this tune deserves more appreciation
What's Wrong - sick double. sounded really good together, wicked way to end a mix. might have let Subterrestrial to roll a little bit longer

Very good mix man! Most of the blends were sounding very good, you've managed to fix those few slips very quickly and EQ'ing was spot on most of the time. I also liked how you've managed to switch between heavier rolling techy and moody deeper stuff. Looking forward to hearing another mix of yours soonish :)

So I've finally came across this one :)

Obsession - sick double, really feeling it...there's basically nothing I would have done differently, perfect mix to start with
Catch 22 - I agree with J here, might have let Obsession to blend a little longer, but again you've nailed it
Arrows - would like it to poke more during the breakdown of Catch 22, sounded wicked on the drop, drums sits over it perfectly
Footloose - seemed slightly off on the drop, maybe because of different drum patterns. was sick on the second phrase with all those arrow swishes poking through, nice mix
Editor - would have gone for bass switched the other way to keep the momentum of Footloose drums myself. also the cut off was a bit harsh because of the vocals on Footloose coming at the first beat of the phrase
Mainframe - I thought my player skipped something at the first vocal switch! :D anyways nicely done
Snorkel - was never a huge fan of this tune, I much prefer S.P.Y's remix (needs a release asap imo). blended nicely, too much mid-range noises poking through though
Back In The Grind Remix - really swish mix, got it moving nicely
Contortion - one of the biggest releases of 2011. drums on this one are tricky though, there aren't much tunes which blend really well with it. mixed well, but not my cuppa tea
Flex - slightly off on the drop, but wicked afterwards. really liked this one! I need to bag this EP, looks like I've failed big time not to have it already
The Rift - again a little bit tricky tune to mix. was nice, those vocal samples poking through
Hold It - very nice mix, another tune I should bag
Transmission - that bass before the drop came out of nowhere, was a little bit too loud, but sounded really cool on the drop. love this tune, well done!
Core - rude mix. you've managed to get that slip right very quickly, loving this part mate!
can't remember the ID of that Spinline tune - cool mix
Cemetery - didn't like that one to be honest. drum patterns were too different to work together nicely, there were also some clashing
Pulp Fiction (Lynx Edit) - interesting switch of the mood, slightly off on the drop, but sounded cool afterwards, harmonies blended well. would have let Cemetery to fade out a little bit longer because of those vocals
Arise - really love this tune, this blend worked out for me, good job
Patience VIP - another favourite of mine, you've absolutely nailed this one mate!
Narrow Eyes - sounds nicely, but vocals needs more room to breathe for sure
Labyrinth - sounded really wicked on the breakdown, but again those Narrow Eyes vocals are desperetaly trying to poke through
Dub Sequence - actually I quite liked this one, worked well together, you could have let Labyrinth fade out for a little longer though
Slow Down VIP - came in out of nowhere, would have liked more bringing it in slightly through the Dub Sequence, cut off was cool though
Lunar Bass (Commix Remix) - not bad, Slow Down VIP is a bitch to blend though because of those drums, not many tunes sounds well with it, wouldn't drop those two together myself to be honest
Brainstorm - now that's more like it, this tune sounds really huge in the mix (on a side note and just between us: try Slow Down VIP with Creeper if you have it, those two works a treat)
Program - wicked tune, sounded nicely, would have boost mids on Program a little and decrease mids on Brainstorm a little though
Subterrestrial - been dropping this myself, you've nailed it! also I'd say this tune deserves more appreciation
What's Wrong - sick double. sounded really good together, wicked way to end a mix. might have let Subterrestrial to roll a little bit longer

Very good mix man! Most of the blends were sounding very good, you've managed to fix those few slips very quickly and EQ'ing was spot on most of the time. I also liked how you've managed to switch between heavier rolling techy and moody deeper stuff. Looking forward to hearing another mix of yours soonish :)

thanks for the indepth feedback man listening back I wish I'd of had mainframe prominent and snorkel in the background, sounded much better!

My eq has been getting better although I still have to test these mixes before and experiment with the eq's a bit more as usually my rule of thumb is cut the highs to 9 o clock on the old tune and the mids to about 10 o clock whereas sometimes this doesnt sound quite right!

Next mix should be tighter I'm going to take it a bit slower to maake for a smoother mix rather than worrying about the double drops all the time!

Also I didnt like the cementary mix either.. i was looking for foreign concept - ( on the flip on the serum tune on SGN:limited ) but couldnt find it lol.

I agree with the slowdown VIP into lunar bass too, drums on slow down vip sometimes make it sound like its drastically out.... brainstorm to whats wrong was all off the cuff maybe I should just not plan the next mix!

thanks again man I will be checking yours v. soon return the favour :)

Back
Top Bottom