Best needles for acetate?

miszt

BASSFACE Royale
VIP Junglist
I'm looking to get a needle to audition acetates, i want the best quality play back quality/detail possible, without to much wear on the plate, any suggestions? seen a few, but the threads are a bit old and I'm wondering if theres better options out there now - acetates wont be played more than a couple of times in studio before being archived, and i'd like to keep them as close to original quality as possible when they are stored

rj_dnb

VIP Junglist
I'd say spherical over elliptical needles as theres less wear to the record due to the shape...much beyond that though... :shrug:

Teddy

60%
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
if your just "playing them" and by that i mean carefully, not scratching or cueing very much if at all, then get elliptical ones. Sound quality will be better. They won't damage the record from only a few plays. As for suggestions, no idea to be honest. I have a shure one just for recording vinyls. No idea what the model is. I would ask the person cutting the records or a audiophile forum.

miszt

BASSFACE Royale
VIP Junglist
i suspect every opinion I get will conflict with every other one, and going on audiophile websites will just complicate it haha I've already emailed a fair few companies that specialize in record players, but no definitive answer - will try the mastering studio!