Best method of fixing technics pitch control...

jsmith89

Hmph..... silly...
VIP Junglist
The pitch control on one of my decks is reading at somewhere in between +4 and +5 whereas it's at +2 on the other deck at the same tempo. I've grown used to mixing with this but obviously not ideal...

does anyone know of any companies or people in the london area who could fix it without me having to spend a bomb on a courier? DIY is an option but i'll probably fuck it up! any suggestions welcome

edit: technics 1210 btw

There are plenty of tutorials on youtube and I don't think you need to know much about electrics (saying that, I'd be too scared to take mine apart)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its stupidly simple to fix and modify 1210's. I'd feel like a mug if i paid someone else to do it.

Yup, just time consuming.

The majority of the time it takes to do some stuff with 1210's is taking off the 20 odd screws out of the backplate...thats what gets me before I have even started.

Even though you say it is easy to fix them, i've seen some botch-jobs over the years and sometimes I think its easier to leave it to the professionals.

Yup, just time consuming.

The majority of the time it takes to do some stuff with 1210's is taking off the 20 odd screws out of the backplate...thats what gets me before I have even started.

Even though you say it is easy to fix them, i've seen some botch-jobs over the years and sometimes I think its easier to leave it to the professionals.

Yeah ive seen some botch jobs too but thats because the person in question was a moron lol. And usually i only see botch jobs when soldering was required.

Your literally talking £20 quid for the pitch + about 1-2hrs to fit.

it is probably the easiest electronics job you can do on a technics. Literally just un-solder the old one from the circuit board, and replace with a new one, job done. You can even remove the click from the 0 point with ease. if you dont feel confident, dont do it though. theres no worse feeling than doing a job yourself, turning the power on and nothing happening

it is probably the easiest electronics job you can do on a technics. Literally just un-solder the old one from the circuit board, and replace with a new one, job done. You can even remove the click from the 0 point with ease. if you dont feel confident, dont do it though. theres no worse feeling than doing a job yourself, turning the power on and nothing happening

I think Jack doesn't need to replace the pitch for him to fix this, its something in the pitch/circuit board that literally you can twist to change the % on the pitch.

& if you going to replace a 1210 pitch yourself, buy the new pitch WITH the circuit board. It makes everything so so so much easier.

I think Jack doesn't need to replace the pitch for him to fix this, its something in the pitch/circuit board that literally you can twist to change the % on the pitch.

& if you going to replace a 1210 pitch yourself, buy the new pitch WITH the circuit board. It makes everything so so so much easier.

ah i just assumed that it was jumpy aswell. Ive never tried tweaking that little dial you speak of. I also didnt know you could buy pre-boarded pitches, that will save a lot of time!

Atlantic Electronics do 1210 repairs, just off the North Circular you'll need a motor to get down there though. Ring em up book, explain the issue and they will book you in.

http://www.atlantic2u.com/contact.asp

shit, I was in brent cross last week...

Iv got a wobbly tonearm, like the counterweights almost completely off the other end in order to balance it properly as the whole arm is hanging downward and to the right. It still works but im worried its damaging the needle and/or vinyl. I have no idea if it needs a new tonearm, a whole new mechanism or just tightening. So ill give those guys a ring cheers!

shit, I was in brent cross last week...

Iv got a wobbly tonearm, like the counterweights almost completely off the other end in order to balance it properly as the whole arm is hanging downward and to the right. It still works but im worried its damaging the needle and/or vinyl. I have no idea if it needs a new tonearm, a whole new mechanism or just tightening. So ill give those guys a ring cheers!

If its as bad as your making it sound im fairly certain its damaging both quite badly man. I'd look into it asap.

yeah its probably not as bad as Im making it sound, when I say "hanging", because its loose at the bearing at the top its angled slightly so its not completely straight to the vinyl as it should be. Iv tried tightening the bearing but it wont budge at all and iv heard those bearings are machine calibrated so if you fiddle with them at all youve buggered it anyway

unless anyone here can do tonearm replacements or knows someone that does? atlantic looks good but it is quite far for me and saturday london driving doesnt sound like fun

yeah its probably not as bad as Im making it sound, when I say "hanging", because its loose at the bearing at the top its angled slightly so its not completely straight to the vinyl as it should be. Iv tried tightening the bearing but it wont budge at all and iv heard those bearings are machine calibrated so if you fiddle with them at all youve buggered it anyway

unless anyone here can do tonearm replacements or knows someone that does? atlantic looks good but it is quite far for me and saturday london driving doesnt sound like fun

I'd be happy to take a look at it mate. Done my fair share of 1210 repairs and mods.

What bearing are you talking about? Having trouble understanding where your talking about lol.

Basically if you look at the deck from above its the only screw thingy on the tonearm assembly you can see :D

thanks for the responses guys, i will look into doing it myself but again i haven't the first clue about it and don't want to do something i'll regret. it's not jumpy just out of sync... also cirucit board ay? didn't realise it had such a thing

is this what you mean with the circuit board? http://www.decks.co.uk/products/dj_spares/technics/pitchcontrol

Nope, that would require soldering.

This is what you want if soldering isnt your thing

$T2eC16VHJGoE9nuQffD0BRYupRO6EQ~~60_35.JPG

Back
Top Bottom