Best Kit for Starters - Help!!

Tricksta97

What is the best entry level equipment to buy as an aspiring drum n bass producer?
Currently have a good DAW setup running Sonar8 with E-MU 1820 sound card.
I want to take the next step and incorporate some hardware, have been looking at the Korg Electribe EMX1, Roland MC 303 & SP 404, also the NI Maschine or Kore 2.
Looking at a budget of about £500 for 2nd hand gear, quite confused as to the best option, want good solid beats and synth/bass sounds.

Please help!! :wave:

I think personally, that if you are just starting out, you could invest that money alot more wisely in software vst plugins, and get alot more "bang for your buck" so to speak.

Nowdays, you can get almost all hardware synths in a vst software format that will sound almost identical (almost!) to the real thing.

For instance, you could spend that £500 on one good second hand hardware synth, or get that same synth in a software version plus about another 10 others.

With the amount of software avaliable you can create almost any sound you could ever think of.

Plus, software will take up a whole lot less space, and use up a whole lot less electricity too!

Maybe once you have the hang of using the software, and are serious about your production, then maybe you could move onto hardware.

But in the end, it is entirely up to you. These are just my thoughts on the whole, hardware / software debate!

Thanks Mr Fletch, I have an array of VST including massive among others, and have my head round using the DAW and have produced a few nice bits but I just wanted to take the next step and get a bit more hands on, the Maschine looks like a fun bit of kit as does Kore, though a lot of posts of crashes etc.
Also looked at the Yamaha RMX and the Akia MPC series.
I would ideally like something that I can load a series of sounds/samples/hits into, sequence and play around with effects and add other sounds that can be played on pads. Then put back into the DAW for mastering and further messing around.

Back
Top Bottom