Best Distortion Plugins

JungleFever

VIP Junglist
yo, gota couple questions..

How do producers like xtrah, s.p.y, noisia make them gritty distorted basses?? what plugins do they use?

How does modulation work? what is it?: and are there decent plugins for it?

Whats Kontact i know its a soft sampler but what does that mean?

nice one(y)

They spend ages making them sound the way they do and they have created their own techniques of getting to such incredible sounds. But you aint gonna get anywhere without a half decent synth. They probably all use different plugins that do similar things but no one plugin is gonna get you those sounds- you'll have to try lots and see what works for you - and learn about synthesis or sampling recorded sounds like noisia often do.
Modulation is just keeping the parameters which change a sound within a synth or an effect plugin MOVING. you can move the parameters with lfos, envelopes, or automation in your workstation.

Kontakt is a soft sampler because it just uses librarys of pre recorded sounds and lets you play them on your keyboard and modify them a little

Ohmicide and camelphat are some awesome distortions you can try, my personal fav is ohmicide because of it's frequency splitting abilities. You can choose to only distort mids or highs which helps a great deal.

Ohmicide and camelphat are some awesome distortions you can try, my personal fav is ohmicide because of it's frequency splitting abilities. You can choose to only distort mids or highs which helps a great deal.

And the feedback noises are soooo sick!

Nice one, I use fabfilter EQ and have played with volcano 2. Didnt like volcano so much, but I feel the music I make would appreciate warmth and distortion more than an lfo controlled effect.
Reckon im gonna get saturn. Looks perfect.

Camelphat is good but my turn-to dist plugin has to be SPL Twintube. Simple but very very nice sounding.

i've recently started using izotope trash on my basslines, can get some great metallic sounds out of it, but tbh there are so many options you can do a lot more than that, the overdrives are good too and its got box modelling aswell as two filter/eq things which i dont use (prefer to use fabfilter pro-q for eq) and a compressor which to be honest i dont use either.. camelphat is cool i especially like the mech distortion, bitctusher is a bit shit tho...

when it comes to basses, filters are your friend, really help to add movement. a really good plugin i'd recommend trying to get is soundtoys filterfreak, for filter sweeps and stuff its great, it has a little visual readout of the filter and syncs itself to project tempo and moves automatically when its recieves an audio signal, you can tweak how much and how it reacts and create some sick sounds pretty quickly (no automation :) )

when it comes to basses, filters are your friend, really help to add movement. a really good plugin i'd recommend trying to get is soundtoys filterfreak, for filter sweeps and stuff its great, it has a little visual readout of the filter and syncs itself to project tempo and moves automatically when its recieves an audio signal, you can tweak how much and how it reacts and create some sick sounds pretty quickly (no automation :) )

yup i recommend this one for sure

Yeah, using saturn now. Not had enough time to use it to its full potential but it certainly seems like a good buy.

Cubase distortion (Noisia has said in interview they love this)
Rob Papen distortion robpapen.com/rp-distord.html (Danny Byrd mentioned this as one his favorites)

Been meaning to try saturn

Back
Top Bottom