Best / cheapest websites to buy D&B WAV downloads

tacit protocol

So I got into the habit of using Juno (www.junodownload.com). Mostly because it's well laid out, the search options work for me (I listen to every single release in a chronological order, so for example can search all D&B tracks released in August 2013), and I can listen to the whole track before buying.

Also, I got in the habit of getting WAV files. Don't ask me why, it's the way it is, I've no shortage of memory space, and I'm not prepared to compromise on sound quality.

Issue is, since I listen to every single new release, I also discover loads of great tracks, and my monthly bill with Junodownload runs up to around £250. I used to have a coupon that gave me 10% discount, but that's expired now.

So any other people out there buying loads of D&B WAV files? How do you minimise the amount you spend while sticking to WAV? Anyone knows of any coupon / discount code for Junodownload?

Thanks

Digital-Tunes as mentioned by Teddy is the cheapest place for wavs. They don't sell some of the label's tunes though - RAM, Hospital, Viper (and their respective sub-labels). Surus won't help you in getting wavs as they only deal MP3s and FLACs. For those mentioned you need to visit their own stores or buy it off Juno/Beatport/something else.

OK, time for some feedback. Thanks to all of you who responded to my question.

Digital Tunes is indeed cheap. Definitely where I now buy 80% of my WAV tracks. It makes a massive difference to my budget. However the interface is not as intuitive as Juno, and the search facility is totally broken, but that was not the point, price was. So mission accomplished.

So my workflow is now listening to all new releases on Juno, stick the ones I want in my wishlist, then go to Digital Tunes, buy the tracks there, and the 20% tracks they don't have I get from Juno directly.

One final note. Juno's customer service totally sucks. I sent them 3 emails. Not one, not even two, but three emails, about my situation as a customer. Really nice polite emails, purely factual, hell, I WORK in customer relations, I know how it works. I did not get ONE reply. Not even a simple "Sorry, we understand, but we can't help". NOTHING. Oh well, their loss.

One final note. Juno's customer service totally sucks. I sent them 3 emails. Not one, not even two, but three emails, about my situation as a customer. Really nice polite emails, purely factual, hell, I WORK in customer relations, I know how it works. I did not get ONE reply. Not even a simple "Sorry, we understand, but we can't help". NOTHING. Oh well, their loss.

Strange. Whenever I email them about issues with tracks or anything, they've always responded by the time I wake up the next day and they have always refunded the money (usually for the whole release, not just the track in question). I've had nothing but good customer service from them.

Juno's prices are horrible tbh.

You need to understand that FLACs are equal to wavs quality-wise, they're using lossless compression

Most of all i use Boomkat/Surus/Bleep
The prices are pretty much the same (0.99 for MP3, 1.10 for FLAC iirc), and they all have unlimited re-downloads (although, some label stores disappeared from surus, probably not under ST Holdings anymore, i'm not very sure how this would apply to those)
, the dnb selection may be a bit limited (especially on bleep) but in general everything i want, i can find on there. Boomkat is my fave of the lot, although the search function is a bit meh. They've got pretty good deals on albums, grabbed mosaic 2 for 9 quid there

I used to use Digital-Tunes. They're cheap indeed and the main advantage is they don't charge extra for lossless, however the unlimited re-downloads made me choose the 3 stores mentioned earlier
Great customer support btw!

+ don't forget about labels' own stores/bandcamp

Re: Best / cheapest websites to buy D&B WAV downloads

Whenever I email [Juno] about issues with tracks or anything, they've always responded by the time I wake up the next day and they have always refunded the money (usually for the whole release, not just the track in question). I've had nothing but good customer service from them.

Fair point, I see where you're coming from. It's happened to me too, glitch in the track, and they refunded pretty quickly. Always appreciated. But then if you buy a defective product and return it for a refund, do you really call that "good customer service"? Just adequate. Good customer service certainly involves not ignoring your customers grievances, even if it only involves an acknowledgement that they understand my position but are not in a position to help.

- - - Updated - - -

You need to understand that FLACs are equal to wavs quality-wise, they're using lossless compression

Yes, I do understand this, this is a very interesting subject. I stick to WAV because it still seems to be the de facto lossless format. Although indeed I have seen FLAC gaining ground. But with already 1TB of music in WAV, and WAV still being the format used for music production / recording, I'll just stick to WAV for now. however I'm very happy to discuss this more and particularly interested to hear counter-arguments. Possibly worth starting another thread.

+ don't forget about labels' own stores/bandcamp

Ha! If only I could! I'm a bit OCD when it comes to discovering new music. :rolleyes: I need some sort of systematic approach. So on Juno I check out all D&B releases, one day after another. So basically that ensures I get to hear pretty much all D&B tracks released in this country. So... systematic and exhaustive! But it's works. Although there are some tracks I would have come across sooner or later, I'm sure I've discovered tracks that I absolutely love but would never have heard in my whole life if it hadn't been for being OCD about it! the drawback, of course, is that I discover loads of great releases all the time (around 150 tracks a month to be precise), so definitely need somewhere not too expensive to buy the downloads from!

Word is there should be a tune comparison site up very soon. Keep em peeled

Back
Top Bottom