Drum & Bass Best beginner tutorial to follow?

Discussion in 'Production' started by aimanb, Oct 7, 2014.

1. aimanb

aimanb New Member

Hi, I'm new here. Been listening to DnB for awhile now and would love to make or remix one myself.

I've used FL Studio before and I have a *bad* experience with it because my music sound inferior basic and utter shit. I followed some tutorials on youtube, but could only make the basic drum patterns Haha.

So could any of you guys link the best and easy to learn dnb music production or maybe how to remix a song (using acapella and such) so as to learn how DAW works?

I prefer using FL Studio because that's the only software I have in my computer right now. Or maybe you could recommend a much more simple DAW software for a beginner?

Thank you.

2. AlienWeapon

AlienWeapon Member

[QUOTnb;1495274]Hi, I'm new here. Been listening to DnB for awhile now and would love to make or remix one myself.

I've used FL Studio before and I have a *bad* experience with it because my music sound inferior basic and utter shit. I followed some tutorials on youtube, but could only make the basic drum patterns Haha.

So could any of you guys link the best and easy to learn dnb music production or maybe how to remix a song (using acapella and such) so as to learn how DAW works?

I prefer using FL Studio because that's the only software I have in my computer right now. Or maybe you could recommend a much more simple DAW software for a beginner?

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

For simplicity I think fl has got to be up there at the top. At least IMO.
    There are a lot of good tutorials on YouTube that will help get you started. Is there something specific you want to know?
    I think its important to familiarise yourself with your daw first and pick one synth you like and stick with it for a while.
    I'm planning on doing a beginner's tutorial on drums soon so I will link you to it.

3. smoothassilk

smoothassilk Active Member

Your music will sound shit to start off with. It's just inevitable, and changing your software won't help, unfortunately.

Keep on trying to make your music sound less shit and eventually it will sound good.

4. AlienWeapon

AlienWeapon Member

Heres the tutorial i made for dnb drums:http://youtu.be/fWg3i2K23mQ
    Its pretty simple and is aimed at getting that basic drum groove down. Any questions just ask.

5. xiris

xiris Constantly Learning

this exactly. If you are looking for a magic formula, it doesn't exist, sorry. there is no BEST tutorial. There are only TONS of tutorials, from which you learn a bunch of techniques, then combine them to make your own unique creation. Youtube your heart out. Good luck and welcome to the world of production.

6. aimanb

aimanb New Member

Fantastic! Thanks. Please make a playlist with it if you're finished :)

7. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

If you're the type that gets disappointed that your tunes don't sound ace from the get go you should probably reconsider if this is something you want to invest time and effort into. I've been making tunes for years and they still sound sub par, but I know that along the way I keep improving and that if I just keep it up some time in the future they're going to get to the level I want them to.

As said before there is no golden formula that you can just follow point by point and you've got a banger, and there's no perfect beginner's tutorial because there are so many different things you need to get right in order for a tune to sound good, groove well and make people want to dance their tits off.

Experiment, take time focusing on different aspects of making a tune, listen to your results and think "what do I need to improve" and in a couple of thousand hours of dedicated work you're going to end up with something that doesn't sound half bad.

8. aimanb

aimanb New Member

Thanks for the info!

9. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

when searching for tutorials on youtube, you need to know which ones are really helpful, and the ones that are utterly shit. You'll notice this by, for example, when the "producer" start rambling about things that aren't related to production, or if he keeps changing the parameters through 20 minutes before saying "Yeah, that's ALMOST it".

I normally watch tutorials made by Seamless (although sometimes I can't understand a single word he's saying), Sadowick (although he uses Ableton Live) and some others that I see that have some quality.

Keep in mind that anything that a producer do on one daw can be achieved on any other daw, what changes is how you make things happen. So, you can watch a tutorial made on reason, and apply the knowledge on FL Studio.

Also, keep a more critic way of thinking, specially when it's about mixing/mastering: what is good for one's music, may not be to another. If a guy uses a certain method for mixing, you can try his way, but you'll need to LISTEN to the results on YOUR song. If it's not good, then you'll need to experiment.

10. aimanb

aimanb New Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I normally would search for an hour+ long video of remix from scratch or tutorial series. I think that way I can learn how some youtube producers are thinking in making tunes. But, that's just me :)

11. AlienWeapon

AlienWeapon Member

Will do. I will be doing more tuts aimed at beginners too.

12. Dark Lizardro

1 hour+ tuts are good so you can know the whole process of said producer. I prefer to watch tuts series, with smaller videos, as I tend to get lost sometimes.

13. Sulihin

Sulihin Active Member

They're a bit old now and use Reason but the boyinaband 7 day song tutorials are pretty much how I started learning production. I liked it back then because he'd do a song start to finish and I'd try to follow along and do the same song in my DAW. That often caused issues because he was using Reason and I was using Reaper with free plugins, so mostly I developed a case of Thor envy. He also talks about why he does things, which I found helpful.

14. aimanb

aimanb New Member

I have a request here, I found that most tuts doesn't mention the standard workflow and other basic requirements that are needed in production (like plugins, other useful software (Audacity etc) for heads up). Could you please add it too? Just for the ease of understanding.

Or maybe [MENTION=91769]DarkYsidro[/MENTION] can tell his experience in doing this :)

As for the workflow, although it depends on the person's creativity, but I'd really like to know what's your standard "move" when doing production/remix etc. For example, in remixing, you need to know the tempo first using the Tap (I just learned this yesterday) and then knowing the music key. I find that easier for a beginner to learn from an experienced workflow.

[MENTION=77852]Sulihin[/MENTION], thanks for the link! he's awesome though.

15. AlienWeapon

AlienWeapon Member

What sort of info do you need for plug ins? And workflow tends to be what works best for you. If you can be more specific with what you want to know I can be clearer with any help I can give.

16. Dark Lizardro

I normally watch Seamless, Sadowick and howtomakeelectronicmusic's tuts on youtube. Seamless and howto... uses FL Studio, and Sadowick uses Ableton. As Fot the plugs, I can say what I use, but this doesn't mean you'll have to use them as well. And the truth is: only paid third party plugins I use are Massive, Serum (bought it last week) and Harmor (altough it isn't a third party plugin, as I'm on FL). The rest of them are the stock plugins that come with FL producer edition.

17. johnnymire

johnnymire New Member

+1.

+1 again. Although I started to make music with MAGIX, I don't see any reason not to continue with FL due to the aforementioned abundence of tutorials. Ableton Lite is another option (massive user community), but it isn't free.

18. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

i wonder if it would be helpful if me and the guys at eastern promise audio did a youtube tutorial. we have thought about it, and we have had a few cats sit in with us, during our sessions.

19. Dark Lizardro

I listened to lots of tunes you guys made and they are top notch. It would help us a lot, Karl. Really, do it!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    logikz likes this.
  20. Meiosis

Meiosis Member

does it help if we beg for it ?