Bensley - Next Generation - RAM

What's this toptoe track people keep banging on about?

With regards to the album, yeah it's bang on the cheesy side. Wouldn't surprise me if he hit Ram with a good album and they told him to cheese it up and make it radio friendly.

He's allowed to like it, but he was first to slam everyone else for not liking it. We're allowed to not like it.

That is true, I should have really quoted that guy too. It's just a bit silly to see people slamming other people for having a different taste.

I do actually like the album overall. Not really happy with the selected tracks that have been pressed (To The Moon should have been pressed). And as far as I can tell, this is not cheesy at all, it just represents the musicality of RAM and D&B.

Not everything needs to be hard-hitting in D&B. Musicality is so discriminated in D&B goddamn it.

There's nothing *wrong* with the album in my opinion... it's just got no wow factor or diversity. I've listened to it 3 or 4 times from start to finish and couldn't pick out any track and tell you what differentiates it from the previous/next one. No tracks that make we want to mix either... so probably won't make it into any mixes even when I'm playing poppy stuff. That's the harsh truth

This seriously sounds like a tune some kid would write after 6 months of producing, holy shit....

Can't agree more. Labels like RAM don't care much for quality anymore. Like in pop music it's all about a persona, their story and generating a hype. Music & quality is not centric anymore, at least not for this release.

Same thing really with UKF. When one guy decides what will get a chance on a major audience of d&b fans and they support stuff like this and totally ignore 90% of the rest of the scene:

Don't get me wrong I'm all about simplicity in the music and diversity within d&b but these efforts are just really poor and they get chosen because of people being young, not because of the quality of music.

IMO, the thing which this has over most Dnb is that it actually has slightly interesting harmonies, maybe even some key changes in there, which is something which 95% of dnb producers don't even know exist. The sound design isn't exactly mind blowing, but that's not the point.

IMO, the thing which this has over most Dnb is that it actually has slightly interesting harmonies, maybe even some key changes in there, which is something which 95% of dnb producers don't even know exist. The sound design isn't exactly mind blowing, but that's not the point.
Now, I definitely wouldnt rag on this kids songwriting, it's there. It's almost (almost) reminiscent of Netsky's songwriting when he started out.
But for the most part, the production just isnt there, and the tune really suffers because of it.
Tunes like this really just sound shit.

The problem is that a label as big as RAM has power, and with power comes ability to influence people and change shit, so RAM are responsible for the changes they make in the scene with the crap they put out. Otherwise I wouldn't give a shit

Back
Top Bottom