Ben's amazing DIY Absorber/Diffuser

kama

benkama.net
VIP Junglist
lol wtf edit going strange

Making some acoustic panels out of surplus construction materials. Just ran out of glue, but I got 1 out of 2 panels ready, letting the glue dry atm. Gonna post details with pictures tomorrow so watch this space!

Last edited:
Looking good man, would work well as a ceiling cloud or rear wall diffuser. Make sure the bass traps you build are at least 48kg/m2 density for max efficiency.

Btw, if you're going to add colour to those, don't use regular paint, it will make them useless. Dye them or cover with breathable fabric, but the white will be fine I reckon!

Lookin' real nice! And if they don't work as good as you hoped at least you've got some sweet wall art!

Looking good man, would work well as a ceiling cloud or rear wall diffuser. Make sure the bass traps you build are at least 48kg/m2 density for max efficiency.

Btw, if you're going to add colour to those, don't use regular paint, it will make them useless. Dye them or cover with breathable fabric, but the white will be fine I reckon!

I plan on making the bass traps simple, as I only have an audible problem in 80hz. Perhaps I will try tuning them somehow. And yeah the white surface has to be alright, it's not rigid, and they are used in offices for their acoustic dampening properties as well.

For anything below 125hz you'll want them to be at least 4" thick. One 2'x4'x4" in each corner will make a big difference. I followed the DIY bass trap PDF from basstraps.net, very easy to build!

If you have any old mic it'd be worth running a few sine sweeps just to at least get an idea of problematic frequencies, Room EQ Wizard is free and great for this kinda thing.

I was actually planning on just placing 2 rockwool stacks on top of each other, they are about 60cm*60cm*120cm in size and weight is about 15kg per package, or more, depending on the quality of the wool. If that doesn't help I'll have to get building.

Back
Top Bottom