Beginners: DnB Template for Logic

msmith222

redbeard
VIP Junglist
Lostnthesound and I are working through a template for us to use while working together from across the country. It dawned on me that the basic version, before we get too technical with our own setup, might be pretty useful for beginners. Our basic routing setup is laid out (though it gets a bit more complicated when we actually work), and I have put a few plugins in the places we would use them normally. Obviously, if you don't have a particular plugin, you can insert your own version.

The file is saved as a project, not a template. The idea was that you can open it and adjust it to suit your needs and then save it as a new template with your own filename.

Please feel free to post any questions.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/etz8l6

NEW LINK ON PAGE 2 - Updated template

Last edited:
I would say we don't always have the eq, but since it is there 9 times out of 10, I just selected all channels and double clicked...

One advantage is our default setting has a slight roll off at 30Hz, but really everyone has their own preference here.

Seems like you work in an almost identical way to me, 'cept I send all my buses to a "master bus" before it goes to the stereo out (y)

What's VSC-2? Seem to be missing that.....

Actually, those sends reduce your cpu load, true story. :)

yer mate i know that...the way i usually go about it is tweak tweak bounce :) eg layer snares group and bounce then move on

so i end up with 4 sends max
ive always been lazy to use exs24 kicks etc...i always use audio
big up for this

one thing we usually have but forgot to add is a sidechain track, with the output turned off. simple 4 x 4 kick usually, unless we want to sidechain to the main kick/snare in the tune.

me too, but eventually Lostnthesound won out. Now I agree with him, the sampler gives you great flexibility, especially if you want to tune your drums.

You only agreed after I put your head in the vice!

What we've been doing lately is layering up our kicks and snares and then bouncing those down. Then, we assign an EXS instance for both the snare and kick so we can tune each instrument separately. Once we're happy with the sound, we'll bounce again and create a multi-output EXS instrument. In this instance, we place our layered and newly tuned kick and snare–as well as any other drum sounds (i.e. hats, crash, etc.). This way we have the flexibility of drum editing in MIDI in addition to having a single instrument to hold the majority of our drum sounds. And thanks to the multi-out of the EXS24, each of those hits is assigned it's own channel aux for further processing madness.

Cheers.

im yet to meet someone that does their drums in ultrabeat

If the interface wasn't such an ugly aesthetic mess, ultrabeat would be my go-to. I'm not sure what they were thinking when they came up with the UI on that thing, but they definitely dropped the ball. Damn shame to as its factory drums are wired like NI Battery in that differing velocities yield varying drum sounds...but I digress.

Thanks for that guys.

I've never bothered with templates, as I make a fair bit of stuff at different tempos and am lazy. Though I bet it really helps your workflow as you don't have to stop any creativity to mess around with routing..

Yeh big ups for that, I might have a go at making a few for some different styles so If I get a chance I'll upload em and post..

Joe

Back
Top Bottom