beginner, what type of music to make??

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
Right guys looking for a bit of guidance here I used to play with reason a bit until i lost all my files now I'm not a complete retard trying to use the software...
http://soundcloud.com/jack-evasion-evo
^ i have done 3 things in the past cpl of days, 2 clips pretty much exactly the same, havnt changed drums... ( the snare pitch change was just to see what it sounded like )
U think i should stick to dnb as thats where my passion is... or go for dubstep maybe?? house?? just to learn different techniques.

sometimes i make other stuff... then mix it into a dnb track! good instigator for inspiration!

i would say if ur starting out then just mess about making anything, any sound u create is good practice - dont worry about trying to make stuff that fits into a particular category. this way u can learn loads of different techniques, and develop a skillset of your own which you can utilize when one day u think 'i am definitely making a dnb track today'.

that said, if u just really want to make a certain genre then why not - just do what you want!

thanks for the replies i know its one of them duhh questions where u think answer urself, glad to see this side of the forum isnt very hostile and u can get seriour answers!
i think thats a good idea, just experiemnt with different sounds and styles!

make anything u feel, make whatever you want man... its just about making urself happy to start with.

i made breakbeats and hiphop for years before i got serious...

breakbeat is really good practice.

yeah when i started making drum and bass i was getting told that i should stick to something else because i wasnt good at it, but i tried not to listen coz drum and bass is what i love...! and its true i was shit at it !!
somethings u just gotta stick at it, you may be absolutly shite at it to start, but if you are serious then keep doing it over and over.

Who cares what you make man! Make whatever you want, whatever you are feeling at the time. THe important part is that you stick with in and try to finish shit, the worst is having a zillion open ended projects that arent going anywhere

Don't start off thinking: "I'm going to make a sick DnB track!" Just find some samples you like and have a go with them. Break genre rules and make something that is entirely you. Maybe take some ideas from different genres and mix them. Experiment with techniques used in different genres, such as sidechaining which is a technique that House and Trance producers seem to use religiously. The biggest part is experimentation.

Who knows? Maybe some shuffled Dubstep percussion goes great with a Trance pad and an old house acapella. Be adventurous with your music!

i allways just mess a bit around with a basic beat and searchin for a nice sound. when i found it, i try to make something nice of it. dnb, elektro, or dubstep , whatever, experimentation is creation :p

grtz

Just roll with it mate.

Start on a tune and see how it sounds and carry on with it. Started working on a drumbeat the other day and it started forming as a nice noisia style heavy drum beat so just carried on with it that way, not even massively into the heavy stuff just thought why not! Going to try and give it a jump uppy feel though at some point :)

u shud make the music you like
if thats dnb then make dnb if its dubstep then make that an so on.
or just try makin bits of evrything an see wat you like

when i started out a year and a bit ago, i for one just focussed on dnb, as that was what i wanted to do. pretty obiously the first ones were really shit, but with every beat i made it got better and better.

but tbh, it will be like that with every music you make. in the end, if you want to make dnb, you simply have to put the time into making big drums and fitting hi hats, as you wont have to do that in a similar way in any other genre (apart from dubstep and breaks maybe).

yeah appreciate all the comments like, make what you like is the obvious one, im progressing faster with the synths and basslines, drums are always gna take a long time to master, at the moment I just ended up doin a simple entro and making 16 bars filled with a bassline then move on to the next project usually, just testin out different sounds and a couple of styles. Gota learn to use the softwarwe before u really have a chance of makin a good track with a nice mixdown, getting everything the right volume is the hardest part for me right now!

Youtube is a great way of learning whatever program you are using. There are hundreds of tutorials all over there. They really helped me out when I was starting out with FL Studio.

I have to disagree with the comment someone made about make whatever style you are most into! I absolutely love listening to dirty jump up drum and bass, but cannot get my head around making it! All I ever seem to make is techy, liquid style drum and bass. Guess thats my style I've crafted.

Youtube is a great way of learning whatever program you are using. There are hundreds of tutorials all over there. They really helped me out when I was starting out with FL Studio.

I have to disagree with the comment someone made about make whatever style you are most into! I absolutely love listening to dirty jump up drum and bass, but cannot get my head around making it! All I ever seem to make is techy, liquid style drum and bass. Guess thats my style I've crafted.

I dont think its most into they meant really i said type of music as in you know ,house, dubstep or drum and basss. If your into ur techy stuff aswell it makes sense your making it, i like my jump up too, but it has to be the cream of the corp stuff, i dont want to be another one of these mediocre soundin all the same producers so for now jump up is very demoralising to try and make.
My favourite style right now is the sorta of new jungle style from serum and bladerunnner and others, but that is a totally different level again!

Back
Top Bottom