Beginner Tracks

Swayzy

Hi All,

This is the first time I am seeking advice on a forum. I'm not confident in my tracks still but am not afraid of some relevant criticisms at this point in time. I've been producing a year and a half on logic with a bit of help from Reason sometimes, waves, addictive drums, recycle and T-Racks.

http://soundcloud.com/swayzy

My opinion at the moment is that I am not getting bass that sounds 'spongy'(not sure if I can say that) enough and I am well aware I never finish tracks (that is no problem for me now). I also feel that I haven't enough resource to the Virus type synth sounds that I'd like to emulate. I'm taking to this kind of 'warp' sound that I can get out of Sculpture at the moment. I heard metalheadz often use that type of sound recently and I like it.

On the positive I am getting into a rhythm now and build up in similar fashions each session. I use recent tracks and copy the transients into the beat matching feature in logic. It is hard to follow the speed of the metronome but I'm forcing my brain to quicken up and get it so I can copy rhythms. I then replace all the drums used with my own samples from audio and EXS24 samples.

Anyways. I hope I can get some input here.

Best,

Neil.

hey there.
on your first track - when the bass comes in at 0.41ish it drowns out the drums - especially the snare. so you'll need to mix that down more. perhaps you'll need to use eq to make room for your drums more in the mix.
composition/production-wise i think its pretty good.
what i try and do is listen to the volume of your drums - do they sound the same when say the bass comes in - or a pad or whatever. if they dont sound as punchy or loud when other things are playing - thats something you need to fix - mix down/eq/sidechain compression/high pass everything that doesnt need to be in the low end/ - all skill needed to help make mixing easier.

wouldnt worry about finishing traks - i bet everyone here has 10 times more unfinished tracks than finished ones. just keep at it

Thanks JimJim,

I just realized the 'drowning of the drums'. The bass in that track was shoddily put on top of that with little thought. I'll remove that track soon.

Thanks for the motivator.

I think removing stuff that doesn't need to be in the low end might help me. I probably need a better drum sample/mix and a clean bass to subtly add in the background. I did notice on the multimeter that I have surges of movement pushing through the middle and lower frequencies and I was thinking maybe that was a bad thing but I'm not sure about that.

I may be getting an apogee duet to try and give me good samples from the off. I was hoping perhaps the duet may with the converters change the whole sound quality but am not sure whether it just acts as a pre-amp and works with audio going into the computer.

We'll see.

Best,

Neil.

Well ive only been producing dnb seriously for just over a year but have got years experience n understanding of how music works. All i can suggest is to get on youtube for synth tutorials and search this forum for tips and tricks and just practice practice practice. Dont worry bout finishing tunes, just learn learn n learn and then put it into practice.

Last edited:
https://soundcloud.com/mistasfx <--- my soundcloud after a year of gettin my head stuck in. still a long way to go but it does help to get stuck in[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mistasfx. Sounds like you are at a similar level to me. I like the kick drum in 'Nightmares'. That's kind of what I mean about getting a more 'spongy' bass. I was listening to 'Lung' recently thinking how to get that deep bass. It seems do-able, now after practice, but as you say a lot of practice is needed.

Back
Top Bottom