Dubstep Beginner producer looking for feedback/tips (brutal/filthy dubstep)

Wise_L

Hey all,
This is my first post here, im a guitarist who got into dubstep a few years back, im trying to put down some filthy/evil beats and generally improve my production skills , Id love it if some of you could have a listen to my 'work in progress' sketches here and let me know what u think ! this is my latest one : http://soundcloud.com/wiseoldkingh/wise-old-king-h-wrapped-in

Any feedback/criticism/words of wisdom would be appreciated, dont know a whole lot of people into the style so trying to get feedback from people who actually like the vibe im trying to go for aint easy!

:thumbsup:

That is pretty cool. The bass sounds I am really liking, especially how you mix them all up. I'm not too up on this style but it would be nice to hear some sort of breakdown in the middle to vary things up a bit, but I'm no expert lol. Overall I'm liking it and I know for a fact when I play this to a couple of mates later on they will be all over it like a rash!! Keep going on it and I am looking forward to hearing the next version :)

Man i really appreciate your reply. 1st reply ive had on any of the forums ive posted on! I hear what your saying about the structure, this is just the main section of the song i guess, need to add an intro/breakdown/buildup/drop/general variance - all that good stuff ! tbh i just want to know if its actually sounding alright to anyone else but me! lol so thanks again,and let me know what your mates think if u can ! If anyone else has any views on this - good or bad - keep em coming! =)

you made some pretty wicked sounds mate =D
the drums are a bit too much on the background though, you should raise their volume a bit.

the drums sound a lot better =)
The only thing missing are some highhat grooves to keep the flow going.
The track is a bit too laid back imo.

Drums are way to distant, I never change the db's of my kick nor my snare.. I think they are the foundation of any "building." EQing, compression, saturation, limiter, any tool like that can do the trick. I like to Notch EQ a lot of my channels. (Surgical EQing.) Some things sound heavily distorted and feels like they are peaking. Like where the overall track is going, keep it up and don't give up! (I've been producing for around 3 months as well.)

Thanks for the tips/feedback guys, im working on developing this tune at the moment , trying to make it a bit more energetic/ less distorted etc : im lacking any internet at home atm but after friday ill be able to be a bit more active on here! I will listen/give feedback to anyone who has given their time to do that for me! =)

When you are mixing you need to play each element separately against the kick. So solo the kick and one other element; bring the fader of the element you are setting the level initially down to zero then bring it it up slowly take it too high take it too low then finally feel the correct level for that element. I do this element of mixing with good quality headphones then check with my monitors after. To make sure the kick can breath you also need to side-chain the bass and other elements with the kick as well as the surgical eqing that Kothy suggests. Basically your kick and snare need to be jumping out of the speakers with this kind of Dubstep.

Back
Top Bottom