Begginer Production.

Hitchkins

Raise The Roof
Safe Guys, I'm really into drum and bass especially liquid currently and i'm hoping to start mixing & creating tracks from my computer.
Currently I'm 16 years old and i am working from a Dell XPS 420 with vista. I am looking for advice on what software / equipment i will need to start making drum and bass, To the quality of sending tracks to stations such as liquicity etc, looking forward to getting some reply's and hopefully getting started soon
Safe :)

I am looking for advice on what software / equipment i will need to start making drum and bass, To the quality of sending tracks to stations such as liquicity
since you're a complete beginner, i'll let you know that its not down to the equipment you use, but the methods you use. downside is that you have loads to learn, but your age is a great point to start getting involved, but dont expect to see any great results from your production straight away. just keep at it, and at the end it will pay.
in regards to equipment, you're best of going for some of the great freeware that are available. the best place to search for such programs is http://www.kvraudio.com/
i would suggest you download "Reaper", which is a sequencer. its job is to host all of your audio and instruments, and you can download a full working demo from their website. search for it on kvr.
but like i said, its not as easy as installing and hey, big tunes are coming out. theres a lot to learn. i recently came across a bundle of text files with good information on production.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LOOHQK3M
again, dont expect to understand every single one of those tutorials, as some are quite advanced. but you will learn loads simply by doing internet searches for the terms you dont recognise.
welcome, good luck, and feel free to ask questions and use the search function for whatever you dont understand. (y)

Cheers man, thanks for spending some time posting some links for me its been a great help, I'm just getting started on the download, one again cheers :) !

If you just spent 30 minutes looking at Reaper and you're ready to give up on it then I guess this might not be for you.
It takes some time to get into it man, you'll have to read up and ask lots of questions. Doesn't matter what DAW you use.

Would any suggest any other programs as i am finding REAPER very complicated currently.

here's the cold hard truth: if it takes you just under an hour to give up on a program, you will not get far in production.
read the manual page to page. every time you come across a term you dont understand, google it, and also check youtube for video tutorials. but you need to be patient, and persistent.
trust me, dont get involved in audio production if you want an easy and relaxing hobby, coz it fucking aint.

best advice you'll ever get ^^ @subprime

edit - fukkin gordo sniping my post there!

double edit, but what gordo said also.

I've been working on music production with Ableton for about 2 years now. It is still extremely confusing and I still consider myself a beginner. It takes a really long time to figure it all out. There are alot of confusing words and terms but it is all slowly coming together.

If you are determined and dedicated then it is only a matter of time. Stick with it. I wish I was 16 when I realized I wanted to learn this shit

If you are determined and dedicated then it is only a matter of time. Stick with it. I wish I was 16 when I realized I wanted to learn this shit

well, come to think of it, the young age may be a bit of a catch 22. whilst one is more acceptive to information and learns faster when young, at the same time thats the age that you're agitated, and your attention spans over miliseconds. i vet that half hour he spent with reaper seemed like a month.
so yes, starting young may be good if you're uncharacteristically for your age motivated, but you may end up getting bored, frustrated, and chucking production in the closet with all the other stupid activities you tried and promptly quitted.
i reckon 19 is the right age because, well, because i started at 19. and look at me now, jet setting all round the world (of warcraft)...

sound people, i just need to know some peoples opinion's its just i cant really find a detailed enough tutorial that goes through everything in way more detail than this one http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ReaperTutorials , any links would be much appreciated cheers :)

what exactly is that you dont understand ?
this first video gives a pretty good idea of how to get started.
http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Tutorial_1_-_New_Project

perhaps your problem is that you dont know your way around a computer too well. but i mean, if you managed to find this site, and create an account, installing and running a simple project in reaper shouldnt be much harder...

sound people, i just need to know some peoples opinion's its just i cant really find a detailed enough tutorial that goes through everything in way more detail than this one http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ReaperTutorials , any links would be much appreciated cheers :)

Well to be honest, I don't really have any specific link in particular. I'm an Ableton user and I just You-Tubed until I am ready to puke. Thats the best method in my opinion. There are tons of tutorials on you-tube, finding those tutorials leads you to other tutorials and websites. It's a chain effect of information that comes along naturally.

Yeah you cant just jump straight into production. It takes alot of time. I've been at it for around 2 years but only seriously for the last 3 month's. I still consider myself new to it, and I am learning new stuff all the time. My program of choice is FL Studio, I just found it really easy to get into and navigate. But, that is just my choice. There are various different programs you can use, all packaged very differently, but ultimately, all do the same thing.

Mr Fletch, i would advice him Fl too. Its quite ease to use for beginners, so why not. If it's not your thing, Hichkins, try reason or massive. But for FL there are a lot of good tuts on youtube.

Mr Fletch, i would advice him Fl too. Its quite ease to use for beginners, so why not. If it's not your thing, Hichkins, try reason or massive. But for FL there are a lot of good tuts on youtube.
Hmmmm, are you suggesting Massive as a daw? Interesting.
I like your ideas.

well, come to think of it, the young age may be a bit of a catch 22. whilst one is more acceptive to information and learns faster when young, at the same time thats the age that you're agitated, and your attention spans over miliseconds. i vet that half hour he spent with reaper seemed like a month.
so yes, starting young may be good if you're uncharacteristically for your age motivated, but you may end up getting bored, frustrated, and chucking production in the closet with all the other stupid activities you tried and promptly quitted.
i reckon 19 is the right age because, well, because i started at 19. and look at me now, jet setting all round the world (of warcraft)...

Ha, I found that interesting! I picked up a Triton Classic when I was 19... and didn't get a Comp for Prod until I was 23.

WoW... c'mon now... there's better RPGs out there:D

Ever heard of Morrowind? ;)

Would any suggest any other programs as i am finding REAPER very complicated currently.

I been using Reason for years and tried Reaper the other month - man i gave up after a few hours as well - just couldnt get my head round it.
Keep trying different sound programs - find one you are comfortable with to start on.
Then once you know a bit more about production you can branch out.
but i reckon to begin with you need to find one that is easy for you to pick up.
Good luck dude.

Back
Top Bottom