Begginer Production.

Mr Fletch, i would advice him Fl too. Its quite ease to use for beginners, so why not. If it's not your thing, Hichkins, try reason or massive. But for FL there are a lot of good tuts on youtube.

this is a softsynth not a daw man. dont confuse the boy!

Alrite cheers for all your reply's, Ive downloaded the fruity loops trial and im getting on with it so much better its much more user friendly. is there anything else i need on top of FL like software / equipment wise, Ive spent approx 5-6 hours on it and im starting to get the basics of it. Cheers :)

nice one mate, just keep at it. i know fuck all about FL studio, so cant be much help, but loads of people use it around here, so ask away.
i dont think you need anything else at the minute. perhaps you could get a small midi keyboard, but its not necessary.
(y)

trisector uses fruity loops studio. just a thought. professional results can be had. stick at it. now that you've found a DAW that works for you, fits your style, you are well on your way. thats half the battle is getting used to your environment. now you can start looking into vst's and stuff. but first, learn as much as you can about basic production, and the built in stuff that is in FLoops.

I use FL and love it. Dont even want to move onto another program. Not because I think they're inferior, far from it, simply because I found FL real easy to get into and dont see the point in learning the ins and outs of something else, when I can do everything I want on FL!

The basic samples you get in FL are pretty "Waff", so you may wanna branch out and get yourself some sample packs, there's alot of links around here where you can get some free shit.

Also, vst's are the way forward! Basically, a VST is a software plugin synthesizer that you can use to create various sounds from bass to piano to anything else you can think of. Most of them come with preset sounds you can use, until you get the hang of how they work, and start creating your own sounds. Beware though, most of the real good ones do cost a fair bit, you can probably find cracked versions around if you hunt hard enough but most of us here arent into hacked software, and it's frowned upon to speak about it, so thats enough on that subject. Some that I use which I find great are : anything by Rob Papen ( Predator, blue, albino ) z3ta+, junglist, legacy cell. Also, one that is spoken of loads is called Massive. Unfortunately I cant use it because it crashes my PC (who knows why???).

Also, go and search around on youtube, just type in FL STUDIO......seriously, there's hundreds of tutorials on there! And dont hesitate to ask around here, theres plenty of peeps happy to help, me included.

Yeah FL is so much easier its more to the point for beginners but also has a lot of necessary parts which require a lot of experience. I've just looked in my garage and i have come across a Yamaha PSR 262 keyboard with a MIDI input and output socket. all i will need to purchase now is the MIDI cable i should think ? Cheers for everyone's help much appreciated. :)

Yeah FL is so much easier its more to the point for beginners but also has a lot of necessary parts which require a lot of experience. I've just looked in my garage and i have come across a Yamaha PSR 262 keyboard with a MIDI input and output socket. all i will need to purchase now is the MIDI cable i should think ?
you will need a midi interface as well. theres really cheap usb ones around.

sure but for what? its industry standard in certain genres and im sure youll generate some glitchy stuff with it but its for live performances and not production. can be used for it naturally hence what i said about glitchy stuff (cos ive seen it in action, its sweet) but its mainly for live sets

Okay cheers so it turns out it would be a waste of money seeing as im not planning to do live sets just yet. I was considering buying the liquid drum and bass pack for fruity loops £24.99 might be worth a shout :)

Okay cheers so it turns out it would be a waste of money seeing as im not planning to do live sets just yet. I was considering buying the liquid drum and bass pack for fruity loops £24.99 might be worth a shout :)

I think you need to slow down a little. There is plenty of stuff that comes packed with FL to play around with to start. I noticed you have another thread regarding how you cant get two patterns to play in time, if you cant get that right yet, then I would seriously reconsider spending out a load of cash on samples and stuff. Sample packs are not gonna turn you into a superstar producer overnight!

Alright Guys, Just thought i would update you on how im getting on with Fruity Loops 9. At the moment its going great, I have found at amazing tutorial creater on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ste1438 who cover's pretty much everything on his video's for beginners its great just what i needed. Also i'd like to say a big thanks to all of you who have helped me to get started in production. I still have alot to learn and will post some more questions occasionally but thanks :)

I think you need to slow down a little. There is plenty of stuff that comes packed with FL to play around with to start. I noticed you have another thread regarding how you cant get two patterns to play in time, if you cant get that right yet, then I would seriously reconsider spending out a load of cash on samples and stuff. Sample packs are not gonna turn you into a superstar producer overnight!

Listen to the man, OP... he speaks z truth.

Also, there are LOTS and LOTS of quality free samples to be had online... so before you spend any money on samples, make sure you actually need them.

Sample packs from Indie sellers on Ebay are sometimes the most amazing purchases you'll ever make. Case in point... there used to be a seller named Hardsoundz who had 'the' most amazing sound pack I've ever seen... the whole thing didn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks.

If/when you buy sample packs from big companies, their costs are a lot more expensive so the cost to the customer is increased... sometimes this is an even tradeoff because the samples are of a high quality in terms of sound and usefullness... but sometimes they're half assed.

Word of caution... also beware when buying from an individual seller... there's always the chance that they could be selling pirated sound collections.

Back
Top Bottom