Beats on a Mac

greddie

Super Sir Loin
VIP Junglist
Hi all.
Im trying to get into production. Would like to make dnb and dubstep.
I have a mac (imac desktop jobby) and need to know the best program... easiest program to pick up. i current have pro logic 8 on here but it seems hard to use?
Whats the best program, for a mac, for making drum loops and beats? can worry about the rest after.

sorry if this is a repeating thread, i did a lil search but was to lazy in fairness

logic 8 is by far the best program period, i suggest you read up, find as much info online as you can, it will take a while but you will get the hang of it.

yeah man! as soon as i get a mac for college i'm going to be grabbing logic, it's a sweeeeet program!

drum and bass beats are difficult to make man.
there is no programme ideal for it, although i do make a lot of loops on FL and then bounce it and load it to logic

If you buy an audio interface such as presonus or other brands (M audio) most often they come with an entry level music production program. The presonus Firebox came with Cubase LE 4, which is a "light" version, but worked well for me and helped me to begin learning the basics. All the programs do basically the same things. I have a mac, and find that cubase is relatively easy to use. Having said that, it took me about 1 week to set up the audio busses ( lines in/lines out etc) and syncing my external devices such as MPC to start playing when cubase plays. If you know someone that has some experience with any program ie: ableton, reason, logic, cubase, the concepts are the same but how to execute certain commands are found in different areas within the program. Spending time watching youtube tutorials regarding the specific task that you are trying to achieve is a good way of learning things. Lastly, if the music store where you are purchasing the program is "nice and decent" then they might be willing to help you load the program, and set it up for you to begin your journey into sound. Hope some of this has helped you.

ive got a mac, and the software ive got atm is; ableton live, logic pro, garage band, cubase, and reason. if you think logic is too difficult to navigate etc, u could try garage band? its basicaly just a striped down version, but id recomend using cubase with reason running through it

If you buy an audio interface such as presonus or other brands (M audio) most often they come with an entry level music production program. The presonus Firebox came with Cubase LE 4, which is a "light" version, but worked well for me and helped me to begin learning the basics. All the programs do basically the same things. I have a mac, and find that cubase is relatively easy to use. Having said that, it took me about 1 week to set up the audio busses ( lines in/lines out etc) and syncing my external devices such as MPC to start playing when cubase plays. If you know someone that has some experience with any program ie: ableton, reason, logic, cubase, the concepts are the same but how to execute certain commands are found in different areas within the program. Spending time watching youtube tutorials regarding the specific task that you are trying to achieve is a good way of learning things. Lastly, if the music store where you are purchasing the program is "nice and decent" then they might be willing to help you load the program, and set it up for you to begin your journey into sound. Hope some of this has helped you.

The quote pretty much sums it up. Find somethin you are comfortable with, and run with it. Keep in mind most software will give you a multi platform install (windows/mac os)

I'm starting dnd production with mac, after trying some programs i stay with ableton live, i feel comfortable with that.

So, my suggestion is... Download the demo versions of all programs mentioned in this post and give a try to each one and then you can decide which one is your favourite/best choice.

yeah download demos.
also try each one out everyday for about a month so you have a chance to get to grips with it.
otherwise you wont realise the full potential of the software.

even then it requires a certain level of dedication ;)
A month to learn all of Reasons capabilities? I think not.
Only if you spend 8 hrs a day on it! :D

ah ok, gotcha.

I keep on finding new things to play with in reason4..

damnit just let me master one bit before giving me ten new shiny things to play with! lol

Back
Top Bottom