beatmatching

It takes me a little while to beatmatch, taking into account having to find the start of the drumbeat and that I'm fairly new to mixing... But that doesn't bother me too much, as I like to play most of the song. I have noticed though, that I'm starting to get quicker at beatmatching...

What's all this talk of being able to beatmatch a song in a couple of seconds? Surely you can't have a song perfectly beatmatched in a couple of seconds... Surely you'd have to play the two songs for atleast a couple of bars to make sure they're matched? Or am I just being a noob? :S

What's all this talk of being able to beatmatch a song in a couple of seconds? Surely you'd have to play the two songs for atleast a couple of bars to make sure they're matched?
you know how long it takes for two bars to play at 170 bpm ? just over 2 seconds..!
and yeah, i think people are exaggerating here. You should be able to get it close pretty fast, and then spend some more time fine tuning.

Mate I've got shit numarks too, and I can get most tunes locked pretty quick - how quick depends what tunes they are...

If it's an easy to mix tune I'm bringing in, or one that I play a lot then yeah it can be almost right away, if it's something a bit more tricky then obviously it can take a wee bit longer...

Just keep practising, it'll naturally get quicker the more you practice...

on friday i saw him cut the intro to break - let it happen in half and drop it perefectly. can't recall what he teased it in over but he was doing shit like that all night. just picking stuff up mid phrase and dropping it, i did a sex wee in my pants.

quartz lock timing, aiiii.

ive been dropping tunes and crossing them in at the same time so tunes come in on the very first beat of the tune... hip hop style..

been mixing for 10 years so it is kinda easy now lol... can mix bits without beats in as well just of the paterrn of the pads or whatever is playing at the time.... its fun

Last edited:
i like starting and throwing tunes in from the drop point and pitch riding until i get the two tracks in time. its a good way to practice controlling dodgey drops... (preferably on technics tho) (y)

i like starting and throwing tunes in from the drop point and pitch riding until i get the two tracks in time. its a good way to practice controlling dodgey drops... (preferably on technics tho) (y)

Yeah I do the same, aint got technics tho I got Numark 1625's

It takes me a little while to beatmatch, taking into account having to find the start of the drumbeat and that I'm fairly new to mixing... But that doesn't bother me too much, as I like to play most of the song. I have noticed though, that I'm starting to get quicker at beatmatching...

What's all this talk of being able to beatmatch a song in a couple of seconds? Surely you can't have a song perfectly beatmatched in a couple of seconds... Surely you'd have to play the two songs for atleast a couple of bars to make sure they're matched? Or am I just being a noob? :S

the beat doesnt have to be bang on to mix it in use the EQ's to filter out the track your mixing in and as your mixing it in use the pitch fader to get it more accurate
LEARN MULTITASKING ON THE DECKS !!!!!!!!

the beat doesnt have to be bang on to mix it in use the EQ's to filter out the track your mixing in and as your mixing it in use the pitch fader to get it more accurate
LEARN MULTITASKING ON THE DECKS !!!!!!!!

i dont get what your saying, of course a tune has to be fully locked to carry out a smooth mix....

tru dat...they need to b locked before i begin the transition
cheers for all the help but there is one more thing...
i know confidence plays a big part when playing out....i want to know if the more you do it the easier it comes naturally

i duno, i don't have the tunes locked before they're in. get them more or less pitched then begin the fade and just ride it til they're locked - or, just ride out the mix.

it also becomes harder and harder every time you play out, practice doesn't help either. it's crazy bad, it almost becomes un natural. like you're unlearning every time you step up in front of the decks. true say.

i dont get what your saying, of course a tune has to be fully locked to carry out a smooth mix....

when you mix a tune you have to use the pitch to get it in time, its a BIG part of mixing lol, all im saying is if you can get the tune roughly in time from the very first beat you can mix it in while your pitch shifting, therfore mixing while your beat matching and using the EQ's as a kind of filter, trust me give it a go, if you use the EQ's properly you can get away with beats being slighty out of time, loads of dj's do this.
Its called creative EQ

i think you'll find it's called hiding your clangs.
lol well whatever you wanna call it mate, but at the end of the day the method works for alot of djs and allows them to do fast mixes and it dont sound out of time.

I agree with dusty, if you EQ right you can get away with not being completely locked before you start to bring it in...

This is useful for when you're running short of time to pull of the sick double drip that you're going for or summat like that...

i duno mang. i don't see many dj's touching the eq's a lot. switching up the bass and that for sure... maybe taking a bit or treble off, but nothing more or less.

Yeah loads of DJs do this when they fuck up ,

Getting tunes locked is a cornerstone of DJing, aswell as track selection and EQing/volume control.

If your tunes arn't locked, people might not be able to pick it in a club straight away, but even punters who have never even heard of beatmatching will feel that something is out of wack .

i duno mang. i don't see many dj's touching the eq's a lot. switching up the bass and that for sure... maybe taking a bit or treble off, but nothing more or less.

lol pretty much every dj i know or have seen djing uses all the EQ's (unless there proper noobs) mate trust me, try it out when you get the hang of it, it really helps.
on some mixes you can make it sound like you've EQ'ed the beat out completly but the melody is still there (Mr happy - hazard) << this is a perfect example of a good tune to use creative EQ.

Back
Top Bottom