Beatmatching question

graffitizax

Hauntr
sup faggots
iv been trying to learn to beatmatch with my hercules mp3 mixer and virtual dj without looking at the beatgrid or bpm counter cuz i cant afford cdjs right now and cant wait, and i can get tunes synced to within about 0.5 bpm of each other, just wondering if you usually get tunes absolutely perfect before bringing them in or this kinda margin acceptable?

also, how do you beatmatch tracks when there are no drums on the intro? how do you cue the first beat?
sorry these are noob questions iv only ever dj'ed with a sync button but i want to learn it properly
safe

Well my friend, first of all it's called beamatching cos you need a beat to match. And don't worry about what it says on your screen, Learn to use your ears. They'll never let you down

but so many tunes dont have any drums till the drop, are you meant to just imagine drums in time in your head, i could do that i was just wondering if there was another way. and yeah im tryna learn without looking at the screen, i get it sounding alright then have a look and see how i did and its usually about 0.5 bpm but if it sounds alright i suppose its bless?

Always start at the beat or with tunes that start with a beat. Really get to know your music.

but so many tunes dont have any drums till the drop, are you meant to just imagine drums in time in your head, i could do that i was just wondering if there was another way. and yeah im tryna learn without looking at the screen, i get it sounding alright then have a look and see how i did and its usually about 0.5 bpm but if it sounds alright i suppose its bless?

cue it up to the drop, get them matched, then start again from a cue point in the intro. usually if there are no drums there will be some kind of significant sound/percussion at around the 0 second, 22 second, 44 second, 1:06 second, 1:28 second etc (as far as dnb goes), which you can cue from

Often there are faint hats at the beginning of a tune, beatmatching with only Atmospherics is pretty hard, unless you know your tunes inside out

there arent many tunes out there with literally no beat or hats or anything in the intro, cue it at a point where the hats or whatever come in and mix from there

there arent many tunes out there with literally no beat or hats or anything in the intro, cue it at a point where the hats or whatever come in and mix from there

cue it up to the drop, get them matched, then start again from a cue point in the intro. usually if there are no drums there will be some kind of significant sound/percussion at around the 0 second, 22 second, 44 second, 1:06 second, 1:28 second etc (as far as dnb goes), which you can cue from

thanks this is what i was looking for

If there's no beat at the beginning I tend to identify where the beginning of a bar of a phrase is from the pads, it's pretty rare that this can't be done. However it's hard to do if you don't know the speed of the tune. But tunes are usually 1 of 5 different speeds so give a few different speeds a go. Then when you reach a drum beat you can fine tune. Saves browsing all the way up to the drop etc

first of all get this whole 0.5 bpm thing out of your head BPM BPM BPM BPM BPM.
dont try and find shortcuts. doing things the hard way is the easiest way in the long run.

ok so u have a tune u wanna mix but there is fuck all in the intro.
who says u have to mix from the intro? nobody. cue it up from when there is a drum beat. get it in time. then u can cue it back from the start, really listen to the intro, there will be some noises or something that will remind u its in time. or even better they will have hi-hats.. these i find easier to beatmatch than drums personally.. just makes sure u have ur headphone levels set up so u can hear what ur doing. its tough but can be done, not recomended for begingers tho.

and please, ignore the whole bpm thing. already i can tell its not helping u.

Back
Top Bottom