Beat Match Feedback

DJRichCook

Alright people, basically I am just learning to beat match but i have been having some serious problems with it and i'm not sure how to get it better. I've watched loads of videos online and things and I know how to do it, its just actually doing it.

If you have the time to listen to this mix and tell me what i'm doing right/wrong and what i can do too improve then that would be great.

It's only about 20 mins long so won't take up too much of your time.

Thanks a lot,

Rich

link:
Beat match mix.mp3 - 16.89MB
TL:

Turn up the music - Camo and Krooked
I refuse - Netsky
Under the Sea - Danny Byrd
Heaven Sent - Nu:tone
Everyday - Netsky
Electron - Nero

there's no way to "cheat" beat matching - it takes long to learn and when you first start mixing it seems like the most important part. But in reality beatmatching is like 5% of mixing. The only wy to get better is to mix as much as possible, whenever possible. It'll take a while before it becomes like a reflex you can do it so fast. As you get better your ears get better at picking up when the beat is off, slowl you'll be able to hear smaller and smaller differences, and soon (not that soon) you'll be able to beatmatch. Don't expect it to happen overnight, just cus djs make it sound easy doesn't mean it is. Everytime you hear a crazy drop in a set or some unreal djing skills it's probably taken the dj hours and hours and hours of practice to be able to do it. Good luck

* Also if ur gonna post up something like this you should do it on a site that offers streaming as well

all i can say is keep practicing mate, listen to peoples mixes on here, then try and copy a mix they have done, and try and get it in beat.

then you can see how someone else has done it, try and apply the technique to mixes you want to do.

when you bring in a song as well, try counting the bars and phrases (again check youtube for tutorials), if you can count the beat out in the first song, then you can count the beat in the one you are cuing and you can tell if your too fast or too slow etc, also when bringing in tunes if you match the bars then it goes together a lot better etc etc

sorry im quite vague i've only recently started learning to dj myself. but i did the above and have noticed a marked improvement already

all i can say is keep practicing mate, listen to peoples mixes on here, then try and copy a mix they have done, and try and get it in beat.

then you can see how someone else has done it, try and apply the technique to mixes you want to do.

when you bring in a song as well, try counting the bars and phrases (again check youtube for tutorials), if you can count the beat out in the first song, then you can count the beat in the one you are cuing and you can tell if your too fast or too slow etc, also when bringing in tunes if you match the bars then it goes together a lot better etc etc

sorry im quite vague i've only recently started learning to dj myself. but i did the above and have noticed a marked improvement already

Yeah that fuckin annoys me, when people can beatmatch but not beat count. BAre in mind everything moves in groups. Dunno if this helps but I think of it like this: the song is a book, 64 bars is 1 chapter, 32 bars is one paragraph, 16 bars is a sentence, 8 bars is up to the comma in the middle of the sentence, and 4 bars is a word. 1 chapter = 2 paragraphs = 4 sentences etc. Obviously it's not black and white but you'll see what I mean with practice. Sorry I'm even confusing myself!!!

Cheers guys, its all really helpful.

I can count the beat okay, its just counting the bars and getting them matched up.

Yeah the chapter/paragraph thing does make sense. I have been trying to do that but failing i think.

Guess i'll just have to keep practicing!!!

Turn up the music - Camo and Krooked
I refuse - Netsky

I Don't think you cued 'I Refuse' on a proper down beat of a bar. As in the '1' in a count of 1234. Gotta let the record go on that first bass kick.
it's either that or the tempo are so far apart that they are slipping really fast after the cue.

I refuse - Netsky

Same thing.

had that kinda close at one point. Heaven sent was runnin' faster than Under The Sea I believe.

Everyday - Netsky

Same. Either cued it in the wrong place or it slipped really bad.

Everyday - Netsky
Electron - Nero

My advice would be to go on Chemical Records and look up the bpms to some of the tunes your mixing. That takes some of the guess work out of it. Find two tunes that are the same tempo and stick the pitch shift on your turntables in the same spot. I.E Say both tunes are 174 bpm then the pitch shift on both turntables should be at the same spot, say +1% or +2%. Be sure your letting your cued tune go on the first down beat or bass kick of the drums. Practice counting the music. Keep practicing the tunes with same tempo. Keep Practicing period! Don't give up man. It's really frustrating at first. But if you put the time and effort into you'll eventually get it.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Spliff - that really helped, after listening back to it again and i realised half of the problem was that i wasn't cueing it in the right place. I have got the hang of counting the beats and I know how to count bars and stuff. I'll keep practicing as you said with some songs i already know the BPM of.

This beat matching thing is a pain in the arse ha.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Spliff - that really helped, after listening back to it again and i realised half of the problem was that i wasn't cueing it in the right place. I have got the hang of counting the beats and I know how to count bars and stuff. I'll keep practicing as you said with some songs i already know the BPM of.

This beat matching thing is a pain in the arse ha.

It is man but keep at it. Glad I could help some.

Back
Top Bottom