Beat first?

drums then percussion then bass/leads

risers and other incidentals just seem to happen as i go along

also, i always start by building my intro and working my way through the song and building it up as i go along
i know lots of people do subtractive sequencing where they buildup the biggest part and subtract from there but that doesn't really work for me

I have to agree with Krispy here;

#1: Start with a couple of kicks and snares, get the main beat going
#2: Fill out the beat with a few shakers, closed hats and open hats, maybe layer a break underneath if needed.
#3: Work on a bassline.
#4: Work any lead synth work around my bassline
#5: Focus on the structure of the track.
#6: Add any FX, drumrolls, soundscapes etc etc.

Usually do the drums first, as every producer almost on masterclass says

Then comes either a lead, or a bassline.

And it might be a bit different then others but I do my risers always last

Always beat first, but check your hair in the mirror afterwards :teeth:

cameron_diaz_something_about_mary.jpg

I normally always do my drums first but i get sidetracked trying to make them all shiny so ive started trying to make a cool bassline first, I now sometimes add a couple of kicks and snares just too see how it will sound with a beat and then i build it up from there.

I have to agree with Krispy here;

#1: Start with a couple of kicks and snares, get the main beat going
#2: Fill out the beat with a few shakers, closed hats and open hats, maybe layer a break underneath if needed.
#3: Work on a bassline.
#4: Work any lead synth work around my bassline
#5: Focus on the structure of the track.
#6: Add any FX, drumrolls, soundscapes etc etc.

Exactly the same as me, great to know!

Drums first, always. Then leads and things, and finally bass. However sometimes when I've done leads and stuff straight away the rest of the tune will seem to come far more naturally. I start with the main riff in the mid, and as soon as I have that more or less hammered out I go straight for the intro so I can work on the pads and leads and whatnot. Generally I have to lay out the entire track so I can see when it drops etc so I can build some sort of structure to it as I go along. Things like risers and little hits to make it less boring go right at the end.

I always start with the first 4 bars of what would be at/after the drop. usually i do the drums first and then percussion, followed by whatever sound I made that inspired the tune in the first place. After I've got this part sounding good I work backwards to create the intro and then the rest of the track.

ill write strings, chords, pads, and so forth first. great way to make a tune come together quick but it can be tricky to write the bassline last.
with dam nation we sample the shit out of the most obscure japanese art jazz from 1812 before we do anything. its good fun, think thats what were doing tonight actually

ill use whatever inspires me

Sometimes could be a patch i have made, or a sample i found

We have even made a whole track based around one stab sound we found before

I think as long as whatever is used first inspires you to write then it doesnt really matter

1. Drums [main beat]
2. Percussion
3. Bass/lead
4. Bass/lead
5. Background [athmosphere, pads]
6. Construckt tune
7. Fx
8. Fx
9. Fx :D
10. Re Construct [melodies, whole tune] - if needed
11. Mixdown
12. Upload tune somewhere and ask for feedback :D