battling my nervousness!

_Niki_

Hey all.....well ok I have a little problem....Im starting to spin DnB (for about 6 months now) I have tables and a setup at home and I practice and lot and things are going good and all, but whenever I try to spin around groups of people i get REALLY nervous and it totally fucks up my ability to focus and beatmatch! I don't know why I get so damn nervous cuz Im normally not a nervous gal, so I was gonna see if there are any Dj's out there who have ever had this problem and if u have any...ummm....tips?

keep practicing beat-matching till you even have dreams about it, then some more til you can do it even while distracted, say by someone talking to you. Once your brain is trained to mix then any mistake really is a product of being nervous or inattentive. That I can't help you with unfortunately, expect when I get nervous I take several deep breaths in and out.
Depends what you mean by groups of people too, you mean friends at home, or at house parties like?

:teeth:

Not big parties or anything but just when a bunch of my friends are hanging out and what not....Its not even that I think theyre gonna care if I fuck up cuz they wont (a couple of them spin also) Im hoping this will go away the more I practice and the more comfortable I am.....But its sooo frustrating!!!! ARRGGG!!!!

just try n shut the fact that they're there out of your mind and concentrate on the beats. pick yaself some really easy beats to line up to build ya confidence then it should all be easy after that :)

I recommend a good tantrum if all else fails too .. blame it on your artistic sensibility or something. Just dont break your records.

:oscar:

easy there niki ,the best thing to do is practice with just a hand full of tunez ,so u no them inside out (where the drops are ,where the bass kicks in ect ect ).just keep practicing with them ,keep mixing the same tunes together ,then you come to a point where you could do it with ur eyez shut and with no hands .then when it comes to doing ur stuff start off with those selected tunez and you could even mark ur turntables on the pitch of where they are ment to be mixed ,then uv got a nice comfortable start to ur mix and it will give ur confidence a whole world of good .plz excusse the spelling here im very stoned !!!!!!! hehehehehe good luck in the future girly !!!!!!! lennox

If you are expending enough concentration to even take into account they are standing there, your not mixing to full ability anyway. You need to flow with the music, im sure others will agree it begins to comletely absorb you after a while

The problem is that the nervousness overpowers my concentration....i cant concentrate on the beats when i am shaking!!!! But lately it has been getting better tho...i have taken everyones advice on here and i dont really look around me at all at the people in the room....so thanks everyone =)

mesh said:
whats a twelver in Australian ? (updating local slang guide)

Twelver = 12 Pack of Beer ;)

Fosters...Australian for beer. :zest:

I'm a Budweiser/St. Pauli Girl/Heineken man. 3 brands i hammer the most.

mesh said:
whats a twelver in Australian ? (updating local slang guide)

"Fosters...Australian for beer." :zest:

I'm a Budweiser/St. Pauli Girl/Heineken man. 3 brands i hammer the most.

Don't worry you've not been playing for long
Keep up the practice and try to avoid the imagining people naked, it might work in the short term but it'll give you horiffic flashbacks in later life (unless all your mates are page 3 models)

Ab0|2Ti0N said:

"Fosters...Australian for beer." :zest:

you realise of course no one drinks it here, we made that shit up just fo you.

sorry, but beer is serious !!

:alchy:

I used to get this, it doesn't help if ur well self-concious or para :)

I think the simple advice on this is the best, start off with a few tunes you're really feelin, stuff that you'd go mental to if they got dropped at a rave, play these first few tunes, and realy start the chicken-head movement off, once your "locked in" and rockin ur baps off, you'll just start slamming tunes in..

To sound all stuck up and poncey, "you've got to feel at one with the beats, let the music take you" :gimp:

Once you get to this stage, you pretty much become deaf to anything else other than the tunes, my mates have 5 minute conversations (albeit one sided) when I'm mixing, I just completely focus on the tunes.

Last edited:
mesh said:
you realise of course no one drinks it here, we made that shit up just fo you.

sorry, but beer is serious !!

:alchy:

Yah, I was told that. Pretty funny. Yes Yes, Beer is a part of my life.

Back
Top Bottom