Bassline Interfering with Drums

Dj Jammin

VIP Junglist
Basically i've made this beat, which sounds quite fat and i've got quite a nice bass sound. But when i do certain notes which are quite bassy the drums just start distorting and crackling. Any ideas.

reconn

Your levels are probably peeking. Check your peak meter and if you don't know what that is look for a meter that when you play your sounds it shows their level in decibels, kind of like what you would see on a stereo with the green yellow and red. It will most likely be in the red which means distortion/clipping. If so, just turn down your sounds or tweak your effects until its in the yellow or green. You should notice a difference pretty quickly. good luck!

Serum

VIP Junglist
You're driving the levels too hard and have probably cocked up your EQing on your drums/bass or both.

I wouldn't worry about sidechaining to stop a mixdown sounding crap

DJ Joey

Yeah, I've had this problem a few times in the past too. Specially with the amen break.

The solution has been different each time so i'll list a few that have worked for me in the past:

Reduce the bass on the eq on the drums, sometimes only a slight reduction can solve it.

If your running your bass through a filter try playing around with the frequency dial a bit.

Run the whole track through a maximiser(in Reason) turn the clipping on then increase the output volume slightly to compensate for volume loss. (sometimes works, sometimes screws the sound completely)

Best of luck.