Bassline growl....

Phat_Sam

VIP Junglist
Ok... ive been looking for ages and i cant seem to find a thread about this.

Ive just started to make jump up dnb (i used to make dubstep) and im trying to look for the same sort of sounds that producers like DJ Pleasure/Zen/Generation Dub use in thier basslines...

Ive been experimenting loads but i cant seem to find a good sound like these tunes.

a few examples...

Generation Dub & Taxman - Snowman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no5xPnVVc0c

DJ Pleasure - Stingray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ETlNuMEJEA

I use FL Studio 7 XXL with VSTs such as z3ta, Massive Toxic III and Albino 3

Any help would be awsome.

Fruity Blood overdrive REALLY helps and EQ, and Tube Distrort.

But otherwise, I don't get your question

Tbh I don't quite understand what you are after either, but I always split the bass into two parts in the mixer, to let me get the deep sub-y sound and some mid growl from the same synth...

bass1.jpg

bass2.jpg

bass3.jpg

bass4.jpg

All the dirt usually comes from the mids rather than the lows. As for the actual sound, try detuning some saws or squares as if you were making a reese, then cut out all the low-ish mids leaving only the higher end of the mid section when you split the channel... you could split the mid channel into two, high mids and low mids then piled tons of blood overdrive onto the high mids. I'd have a crack and upload a sample but its 3 am and I blew my speakers earlier :rinsed:

Hope it helps.

Tbh I don't quite understand what you are after either, but I always split the bass into two parts in the mixer, to let me get the deep sub-y sound and some mid growl from the same synth...

bass1.jpg

bass2.jpg

bass3.jpg

bass4.jpg

All the dirt usually comes from the mids rather than the lows. As for the actual sound, try detuning some saws or squares as if you were making a reese, then cut out all the low-ish mids leaving only the higher end of the mid section when you split the channel... you could split the mid channel into two, high mids and low mids then piled tons of blood overdrive onto the high mids. I'd have a crack and upload a sample but its 3 am and I blew my speakers earlier :rinsed:

Hope it helps.

To split, near the bottom right click, route to this track only.

Just to clarify for people.

But, well said.

i see a lot of request about basslines, and i think a lot of people are under the opinion the a bit of sub bass and a loud wavy bass with a bilter of hp on is going create this soaring sound that kicks the shit out of your chest or wobble ya brain till it falls out........wrong

I will go onto to explain a nit about what i do but to give you an example im working on a tune at the minute that has seven seperate bass tracks in with out it sound muddy.

one of my bass track i converted to audio and then duplicated it, on the duplication i attached a hp filter and a distortion plug on thus fattening the sound and due to high end distortion being able to be audible within the rest of the tune.

i have a track on minimonsta (old but still capable of putting out powerfull b lines) aplied a phaser and altered the eq, as the track played the flanger alter its timbre again defining it.

for my main agression bass i use junotek in reaktor, due to loveing the lfo, to creat the wavy nast sound i use the lfo in cunjuction with the lfo allowing the wavy bit to open up, basically in a club the frequencies would roll through to tune and smash u in the head. when doing the technique is downloads frequency to note convertions, u wont get it until you have read each octive double frequency so by using that specific note frequency through all that notes octave range u will get a killer sound, but you have to automate the relitive figuires, again i also use the frequency chart to do my filter cut off.

I have a sound from vanguard that sound like a distroted speaker now i dont use this as a full riff but i have assign in to play in the sequence in patterns and it sound so realistic.

I have a modulation synth slight squelch altering sound just as an effect really

using z3ta i have a sound distroted electric sound digital type sound and what i do is use the frequency cut off like a d.j would scratch creating various harmonic pattern of digital scratch almost, sound shit the effet it has on the rest of my tune is amazing because it changes and creats sub rythms within it.

one or to vst with presets are for old school house heads really (no probs with that but hey)

i see a lot of request about basslines, and i think a lot of people are under the opinion the a bit of sub bass and a loud wavy bass with a bilter of hp on is going create this soaring sound that kicks the shit out of your chest or wobble ya brain till it falls out........wrong

I will go onto to explain a nit about what i do but to give you an example im working on a tune at the minute that has seven seperate bass tracks in with out it sound muddy.

one of my bass track i converted to audio and then duplicated it, on the duplication i attached a hp filter and a distortion plug on thus fattening the sound and due to high end distortion being able to be audible within the rest of the tune.

i have a track on minimonsta (old but still capable of putting out powerfull b lines) aplied a phaser and altered the eq, as the track played the flanger alter its timbre again defining it.

for my main agression bass i use junotek in reaktor, due to loveing the lfo, to creat the wavy nast sound i use the lfo in cunjuction with the lfo allowing the wavy bit to open up, basically in a club the frequencies would roll through to tune and smash u in the head. when doing the technique is downloads frequency to note convertions, u wont get it until you have read each octive double frequency so by using that specific note frequency through all that notes octave range u will get a killer sound, but you have to automate the relitive figuires, again i also use the frequency chart to do my filter cut off.

I have a sound from vanguard that sound like a distroted speaker now i dont use this as a full riff but i have assign in to play in the sequence in patterns and it sound so realistic.

I have a modulation synth slight squelch altering sound just as an effect really

using z3ta i have a sound distroted electric sound digital type sound and what i do is use the frequency cut off like a d.j would scratch creating various harmonic pattern of digital scratch almost, sound shit the effet it has on the rest of my tune is amazing because it changes and creats sub rythms within it.

one or to vst with presets are for old school house heads really (no probs with that but hey)

ez mate, nice one have u got any tunes i could have a listen to where u've used this technique?

peace

process....
bounce.....
process....
bounce.....
process....
bounce.....
process....
bounce.....
process....
bounce.....
process....