Bassline frequencies

Abbedabbe

Hi, I currently have the problem that everytime i try to create and resample a bassline, the mid frequencies (around the 200-1k area) tend to sound very dirty, wrong or out of place, and the problem is that if i EQ away those, the bassline loses alot of it's "drive". Does anyone have any general advice on how to avoid this?

heres some things to try
1. eq before your distortion to lessen the destruction of the offending frequencies
2. frequency split and put modulation that will soften the dirty frequency like a chorus, ensemble or phaser to name a few
3. LOW PASS IT and maybe the dirty frequencies will give you some nice texture

let me know if any of these work for you

Try looking at you bass as three seperate layers instead of one sound. You have your sub range (30-100hz) mid range (100hz-1000khz) then highs(1000-20000khz)

If you frequency split your sound (various ways of doing this, just search frequency splitting tutorials and find the one that works best for you) you gain control of those frequency ranges separately giving you the ability to EQ and add fx to each layer without effecting the the others. You can mono your sub without the whole sound going mono. You can dirty up your midrange without distorting the low end and you can add reverb and chorus to the highs to add character.

You can also modulate the filters on EQ's etc seperately for those neuro kinda sounds

Try looking at you bass as three seperate layers instead of one sound. You have your sub range (30-100hz) mid range (100hz-1000khz) then highs(1000-20000khz)

If you frequency split your sound (various ways of doing this, just search frequency splitting tutorials and find the one that works best for you) you gain control of those frequency ranges separately giving you the ability to EQ and add fx to each layer without effecting the the others. You can mono your sub without the whole sound going mono. You can dirty up your midrange without distorting the low end and you can add reverb and chorus to the highs to add character.

You can also modulate the filters on EQ's etc seperately for those neuro kinda sounds

Yea that's prutte much what I'm doing right now : p, I used to frequency split into just two layers, but the results i get now seem to say that three works much better.
@peterfiction Thanks man, the eq before distortion thing seems to work pretty well :)

As said having the bass split is the way to go. I find it much more flexible to use 3 tracks for the bass and a separate sub.

Back
Top Bottom