DnB Bassline aids

I can get a 16 bar loop going with drums and a sample etc, everything EQd and sitting sweet, so I move onto the bass and I just squirt out low end piles, nothing ever compliments the tune, or if it does I'll come back to the tune the next day and it sounds shit. I hoped it'd be something I'd learn but this happens on most tunes I start. Any help?

Cheers

Practice, practice and practice. :D

Listen to your favorite tunes and listen to what they have done with the bass filtering. Also I like to sit around a full day making patches ready to use in my tracks, after that day I'll have a couple of cool patches to work with.

Practice it is then. Just frustrating how quickly I can get the heart of the tune together for me to then hit a brick wall.

Well, it's good that you've realized that yourself. Then you know what to work on.
Same with me three years ago, I was happy with my tracks but felt something was missing and found out it was my lack of mixing skills.
Spend couple of months working on my mixdowns and got so much better, best thing to find out what you are lacking and then just spending some time on just that part of production.

Lately I felt that my musical theory was way behind, so spend some time into looking up chord progression and scales.

haha i hear you mate...basslines can be tough
like ARTFX said...theory.for dnb you dont need much.just get a nice rhythm going and u are done.from there start automating stuff.after u got that and added some pads,fx,riff u will realise that the amazing drums u had are not so amazing anymore :rinsed: haha
its all good fun though.you will defo get it right though

Cheers for the replies. Techy dark bass I can get going ok as its what i understand, but I want to make a nice liquid sub bass for a tune I'm on atm, I'm close to cranking the sub from the Rhodes sample im using and calling it a day.

Also I've only got rokit5s do you think it's the lack of sub presence due to the small driver could be hindering me? I'm looking at upgrading to something with better bass response considering I'm making drum and BASS.

I'll just keep my 5s for the decks.

lol...i use 3 inch monitors.the alesis usb one.they work fine.all about a/b ing your track with Noisia's.use voxengo span to check how low their track goes.
you wont need bigger monitors unless u have a well treated studio.for a bedroom those are perfect

get headphones rather if u can.

I'm looking at having a small studio at some point, a room where I can get in the zone not to be disturbed by the Missus every 5 minutes. Ideally I'd like to have bigger monitors to feel the bass, I'm not a fan of producing on headphones, just use them to reference. My mate who's a much better producer due to the years of experience has the mackie hr824s and having a large driver I see as beneficial, with supportive acoustic treatment of course!

I'm looking at having a small studio at some point, a room where I can get in the zone not to be disturbed by the Missus every 5 minutes. Ideally I'd like to have bigger monitors to feel the bass, I'm not a fan of producing on headphones, just use them to reference. My mate who's a much better producer due to the years of experience has the mackie hr824s and having a large driver I see as beneficial, with supportive acoustic treatment of course!

Yes they will provide you with a better bass response. I've been producing on my 5" monitors for some time now, but I'm looking in upgrading my studio with a pair of Adam A7X or A8X soon.

Back
Top Bottom