bassline advice

nowwhichway

ez guys,

working on a new tune at the mo with some new synths and thought i may as well use your expertise :grouphug: Iv listened to the damn thing on loop so much i feel iv lost some objectivty so....iv posted what iv got so far. http://s11.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3QGICVNVQDW1T1V0N2IUYQSUSV ignore the breaks etc. theyr just there while I work on it so i know how its sounding. Any advice on the bassline iv got so far would be great, i.e. making it phatter, changing the melody (can't decide if some of it sound cheesy - not too much of a problem if the rest sounds phat imo) effects etc ....so yeah any pre-completion-feedback much appreciated:miss_rep:

Cheers

Luke

Now listening.

I think the bass is in stereo is it not? For ages people have been panning their bass in center or working it mono because of vinyl limitations... i suggest you try it too, makes it a lot more constant sounding.

The line itself is hard to find because you make it bounce in all those different directions. my 0,02€ is that you try making the bassline more simple and catchy. At times there was the 2 note line with it's variations -> get each variation to play a longer time, then perhaps a fill, then a different variation...

These are just the written "rules" how some people (incl. me) make tunes. Rules are to be broken, but IMO you have to know the rules before you can start breaking their boundries.

easy. Let me know if you do something to it.

cheers for the feedback man, is there a simple way i can convert the bassline into mono without starting from scratch?

Yeah its bouncing off every wall at the mo - just messin around, i made some simple riffs with it but accidentally got them layered over one another and thought it sounded interesting. Its pretty complex to start adding some pads and melodics over it though. Let me know about the mono thing, thanks again

Luke

The results in simply changing the whole track to mono can cause varied results mind you loggy boy. The whole sound may change, since the stereo field used in the bass is wide. If you're using a synth as the bass, you should try and look up some way on the synth itself. Maybe some LFO is affecting the panning on some oscillators. Sounds like it at least.

If it's a sample, then i'm with log, just convert the sample to mono.

Back
Top Bottom