Bass sounds

marcelkennard

Storms comin in Annie
VIP Junglist
I'd say I'm beginner to intermediate now at the old production, using FL Studio.
I have some knowledge of making a half decent bass using 3X osc i usually whack together some saw waves detune them and fiddle around with the "cents" whatever they are, fine pitch tuning or something
ANYWAY, for more experienced producers: am i right in saying this part of making the bass is only half the process? I would like to know if you use any effects plug ins or if you resample the bass and how you like to go about this.
Basically just some ideas on how to step it up to the next level a bit now i can make basic synths with 3 osc, baring in mind i dont want to spend a fortune on unnecessary plugins
Much Appreciated

i think one of the best ways to fatten up a bass sound is to carefully layer synths of top of each other. adjust the tone and timing as so the basses ignite from each other sparking new pusles and vibrations throughout the mix.
make sure to keep at it!

peace,
dubco

we love to record stuff with the mic. i got drum sticks and this weekend we recorded us drumming on a huge metal vat and what else, oh yeah a darbuka (an arabic conga) we ran through a distortion pedal into a TLS compressor got some really cool sounds from that.

the coolest bit was when the mic picked up my voice through the conga, it sounds completely mental.

with dam nation we start every project by crate digging for a few hours and last time we sampled the shit out of soundtracks for a bunch of old 70s movies.

we have a base of sounds (breaks mainly), and well often use samples from old projects rather than use a sound from somewhere else, but most of it is made there and then for that tune

nice one logikz.
i like doing stuff like that but i dont really have the equipment at the moment.

I cant really offer advice about 3osc cos i dont really like it.
there is no modulation or anything.

draw it in. like an envelope you mean? 3xosc is fully automatable far as i know

yeah it is, anything on the 3xosc can be fked around with.

i think people want a synth that makes no sense what-so-ever but looks good and is poplular.

yeah i suppose.

i rarely use FL Studio anyways now.
i use a plugin a lot called automate, its banging, the only downside is there aint an LFO adjustment.

but the sounds you can make with it are amazing

3xosc is one of the coolest and simplest bass cookers for the FL heads, no doubt. treasure it. I miss it since the cubase switch, but just found out about my softsampler being able to generate some waves sounding like a right analogue monster. rejoice.

bass is very important in dnb, but every tune has a bigger or smaller role for it (depending on it's ratio to the drums and other elements), so the only basic rule I can think of is that it's got to be present (not only by just being there but also by being audible, dnb tunes with a thin bass sound always shit or lacking). for example, compare a basic liquid tune and a techstep one; in the latter example a bassline is mostly constantly modulating and growling, whilst in liquid it is more soothing with the breaks and melodies, and more accompanying than setting the main tone.

Constructively speaking, I've rarely made a tune starting with the bassline to be honest, but I doubt it's half the job. It's how the drums, bass and all the rest blends together and or it sounds tight or not, simple really!

try free plugins (from kvraudio for example) and the fruity ones to experiment with making the bass more interesting. you could also try separating the sub from the high and midrange tones, and then just mash up the mids and highs while keeping the warmth and fullness of the sub. experiment, everyone has their own methods for cooking bass, you'll get your own in the end.

Last edited:
thanks for the help lads, im glad you actually all gave some advice seeing as it is a bit of a question that tends to get asked alot, like OW DO I MAEK SAVAGE JUMP UP LIKE CLIPZ N DAT

Back
Top Bottom