Bass samples.. Help keys and notes

Discussion in 'Production' started by Dj Jammin, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Dj Jammin

Dj Jammin Member

I downloaded some bass samples.. but i dont understand something.. they're all named stuff like bassampleC G E or whatever does that mean you have to play it in that key or do you need a different sample for each note?

2. vickvega

vickvega Mr. Blonde

just the keys that they were recorded in bro

3. Dj Jammin

Dj Jammin Member

what happens when you play a note thats not in that key o_O

4. fastfret

fastfret Member

the smpler with pitch shift the sample man. If it says G then set the root note of the sample on the sampler onto a G. hope u understand that lol

5. Dj Jammin

Dj Jammin Member

Can someone explain that in a bit more detail Im a noob :(

6. vickvega

vickvega Mr. Blonde

the sounds are recorded in a certain key
    when you load it into a sampler set your root key to what ever note that is and you will get the range of the sound

7. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

Each sample is recorded in each note. When you load a sample into the sampler, the note loaded will be the root note of the key.

So, for example, if you load a B into the sampler, the root note of the key will be B, instead of C (usually the default).

When you play up the scale, instead of playing C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C, the scale of the default C key, if you load a B into your sampler, it will play B - C# - D# - E - F# - G# - A# - B. I hope you're able follow this so far.

If you want to change the root note of a sample, you cannot get it by simply changing the note. You have to change the pitch.

In FL Studio, the Pitch knob is in the sampler (alongside the Time knob, if you having trouble finding it.). The default setting for the Pitch knob is the root note of the sample and the knob is set in the middle. Turn the knob all the way to the left and the note goes down an octave, and turn the knob all the way to the right and the note goes up an octave.

(An octave is 8 notes, so left goes down eight notes, which is when the next root note is played going down the scale, and right goes up 8 notes, which is when the next root note is played going up the scale.)

That means when you go completely from left to right, the range of the pitch is two octaves, and that means a note is every 1/16th of a turn on the Pitch knob.
    I hate maths too, but its essential for music.

If you want to extend the range of a sample, find the note you want using the Pitch knob, and then go up or down an octave on the Piano Roll.

I've tried to put it as simple as possible for you, I hope this helps (y)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  8. Dj Jammin

Dj Jammin Member

Yeah thats sweet.. cheers indi i did think the pitch knob had something to do with it. I do understand it to a degree but i'll have to read through it several times with fruity in front of me

9. MARLZTAH

MARLZTAH ++DuB PrOFesSoR++

in fruity, open the sampler and click "misc", at the bottom there is that keyboard bit init, see the orange thing that says "c5"?? well thats the default root note

if you load a sample thats recorded in G, then you would right click above G on the keyboard thing. now the orange square should be above G and it should say "root note:G" above the keyboard

hope that helps