Bass resampling

Mullered

Bass line scientist
Hello there fellow head bangers, I'm new to the forum and here to stay. been reading through the place and some wonderful and useful banter going on here.
Just a quick question to start me out on the forum and I've done my research into it but everything I read says bounce it down, re sample it to get were u want. So i've made a modulated reese bass that I really like in massive, Punchy for the stabs and all about the mid rang movement. I Have a low pass, notch pass and a band reject bandwidth assigned to macros then midi controller. I like it the way it is in it's midi form in massive so do I need to bounce it down to audio, the tracks not huge and cpu usage is not a problem. It's just I'll lose the midi controller settings which are set up in massive.

Peace :spliff:

If your happy with the sound as it is then leave it. Personally I'd make a few bounces to then process further, add a little more too it. And also to stop the pesky free starting oscillator/LFO issue that massive has.

When I bounce down should I bounce down only the 4 bar loop I've created, or shall I bounce down that and a few other 4 bar notes. Because I always proccess this 4 bar loop i've made and then I have the midi synth I stated with puss 4 - 5 other re-samples. When I then write down more notes say for the into and record them through the re-samples with the effects and modulations on, every one always sounds completely different to the beasty first sample I've made.
I have now started making and 8 bar loop and cooping that up and using diffident bits with say and extra resenent bass.
Sorry if you don't understand what I'm trying to say I have learnt on my own up till today and signing up to this forum.

Last edited:
Personally, I like to flesh out the entire bass arrangement with MIDI. Once I'm satisfied, then I'll bounce and start to process/resample the shit out of them.

Cheers.

Personally, I like to flesh out the entire bass arrangement with MIDI. Once I'm satisfied, then I'll bounce and start to process/resample the shit out of them.

Thats how I go about as well when I make more bass-focused tracks. Just bounce it out, chop it up, reverse some parts maybe add additional filters on to some sections.

Just play around and have fun with it!

Thanks lostnthesound, didn't think of that.

Glad to be of service Mullered. To add, I'll make a copy of the project file with the MIDI in tact prior to bouncing so I can always go back and make adjustments if need be. And like JimpaDirt suggested, once they're bounced they're much easier to chop and mangle.

Cheers.

Thanks guys, working much better now thanks to you. I love bass and drums :)
As I'm using ableton live 8.2 I've made two 8 bar loops of bass, two 4 bar loops and a few stabby puncy bits for Drops and stuff. doe's this sound ok?
I like to make my hole track in an 8 bar loop. So I make my Drums, syncopation of drums, leads, pads, white noise filters, vocals and make sure it all fits EQ wise and also with the theme of the track. Then I proceed to arrange and mix the track into hopefully a bad ass tune. Does this sound correct to you guys as well.
Sorry for all the Q's and thanks for all the A's I only have myself to learn from. A few things I check out on youtube, but just trying to get to learn by myself. You know it's all about you own style and I'm not up for copying anyone(Remixing on other hand!), but it only seems the things u need to know like track arrangement, re-sampling and so on the help isn't out there. So again thanks fellow producers :)

Thanks guys, working much better now thanks to you. I love bass and drums :)
As I'm using ableton live 8.2 I've made two 8 bar loops of bass, two 4 bar loops and a few stabby puncy bits for Drops and stuff. doe's this sound ok?
I like to make my hole track in an 8 bar loop. So I make my Drums, syncopation of drums, leads, pads, white noise filters, vocals and make sure it all fits EQ wise and also with the theme of the track. Then I proceed to arrange and mix the track into hopefully a bad ass tune. Does this sound correct to you guys as well.
Sorry for all the Q's and thanks for all the A's I only have myself to learn from. A few things I check out on youtube, but just trying to get to learn by myself. You know it's all about you own style and I'm not up for copying anyone(Remixing on other hand!), but it only seems the things u need to know like track arrangement, re-sampling and so on the help isn't out there. So again thanks fellow producers :)

All good man.

What you've got thus far sounds like a good start. As you start to flesh out your tune, compare it to some of your favorite tracks by the big names. Take notes as to what their tracks have that yours doesn't. Maybe its some pads, perhaps some extra breaks, etc.

As far as the question about your workflow (make my Drums, syncopation of drums, leads, pads, white noise etc.) that is a question I can't answer, simply because as producers (whether pro or not) we all have our own workflow because it's what we've developed about much trial and error. If what you're doing right now seems to work with you, I say stick with it. My best advice would be to flesh out the tune and when you need to take a break, bounce down the file and listen to it a bit...I mean really listen to it without looking at your monitor. You'll start to hear things that are perhaps missing or are too loud in the mix, etc.

Youtube is an excellent source for tutorials. However, don't fall into the trap of mimicing the instructors as you'll find that with the next tutorial you watch the instructor will do something completely different that makes you question what you just watched. Use tutorials for knowledge and inspiration, not as a "must do this a certain way" kind of thing if that makes since.

The hardest part you'll find with production are is not only the ability to keep a 3-6 minute song interesting, but to make sound "good" and full on any audio system–no matter how big or small.

Do a search of this great forum for things like mixdowns, mastering, levels, etc. Also, once you start to get the hang of things, start diving deeper into Ableton's synthesizers and learn what makes them tick and why. Again, this forum is a great resource.

Don't tackle too much at once, take your time and soak it in. Trying to learn all at once will lead to frustration and creative dry spells...I speak from personal experience. :)

Cheers.

If your pc is good enough to handle it i would stick with the plugin, unless there is some kind of phasing effect that you want in your sound - that's when i would resample cause it would sound different with every play otherwise

Balls to resampling if your computer can handle it! The only reason (I have found) to bounce down anything is if your computer starts to lag and the latency cant keep up. I spent way too long obsessing over resampling and why I should do it......turns out I personally dont need to!

As for the frequency splits it depends what the initial sound is? I tend to split into 3 bands, the low's that sit between 30hz -200hz, the mids from 200hz - 1khz and the high's from 1khz upwards. But everyone has their own preference where they split.

Back
Top Bottom