Bass Resampling?

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
So, I've been wanting to learn the art of bass resampling but I'm finding it quite difficult to get the results I want to achieve.

I understand the fundamentals of it, create a bass patch, split frequencies, add any FX etc. Then export to wav, re import into a sampler, rinse and repeat etc etc. But I want to create those amazing types of sounds that seem to have endless layers and movement in them. You know the really disgusting, gritty ones?

I am also aware that Polymass posted a 3 part tutorial on here some time ago, which I have watched over and over, but it cleverly hides the important parts which I need to know, such as what type of patch is created initially to begin the process, and what type of effects are added at what stage etc etc.

If anyone on here can point me in the right direction with tips / guides / links etc I would be eternally grateful!

P.S. I've searched youtube, and all I can find is Polymass's tutorials, which are fantastic in they're own right, but I'm looking for an idiots guide, a 101 in bass resampling.

Manny posted a good one a few weeks ago...

He sounds fucking depressed but his tut is good ;)

http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php?120076-Neurofunk-Bass-tutorial

Is generally a phat reece that I start with...

Also... the ones with loads of layers... unless u have a happy accident, you kinda need to know what you want in terms of sounds before you start.

I'm no guru... only just started the whle resampling thing but thats the only way I can imagine ever coming up with sound like that...

Native instruments Kontakt is an awesome plugin for resampling anything u can split stuff into groups so u can have multiple layer of sounds with different lfo's n envelopes in different frequncy ranges to make that one warpy messed up noise u want.
Saying that another way to do it without having to resample is just simply sending the noise u have into multiple mixer tracks and then splitting and playin with each track by equing and adding filters and distortion so u can use the one vst/sample :/ and send it out to like 5 seperate mixer tracks and then bus em all together to do the last bit of eqing an distortion etc

^^ sucks up alot of memory doing it that way!
You can go wild and do both if u like resample and stick it back in the same fx etc possibilities are endless!

Hey there,

Maybe try some of the massive tuts too on my channel. There's some free patches too.

One important part about resampling (and I tried to convey this too, but I know, it's not ideal) is that the resampling can take place over many different cycles, things getting mixed with each other, in turn being layered with other sounds etc.

Keep track of frequencies, think in movement's etc - use mid's when you need mid's, sounds stupid, but in fact it's an important key to making what you want.

But tbh, it really does need to have many stages, sometimes a good fx chain is enough - if the patch is really good.

Thanks guys. Yeah I understand all about the frequency splitting part fine. Do you have any suggestions as to what order any FX chains should be in? I've read in the past that its a good rule of thumb to have certain FX before others? But at the same time its not a definate?

Ive recently started expirmenting with not just the standard Low Mid High splits but doing it > Sub, Low Mids, Mids, High Mids, and Highs... this allows for MUCH more movement since you can do sweeps and shit on not only 2 bands ( since you generally leave the sub channel alone for the most part) but instead you can have different filters and distortions on 4 bands. I've also been messing with putting a gain FX on teach of the bands and automating the gains so that you get different "blends" of the same sound as you wish =D

Not your biggest expert in production, but as far as I understand you simply start up with a couple of notes on a standard bass sound, tweak it a bit, export it, bring it back into the DAW, create 3-4 copies of the same bass sound and in each experiment different tweaks like changing automation for the filter cutoff in one, changing the LFO rate on another etc etc

A good advice I can give you is to check out the production masterclass videos by Sabre and Alix Perez, they might help you a bit

I'm pretty much a noob to resampling myself but I have heard only good things from people about using Kontakt to resample the sound, I only have the Kontakt Player so whatever sound I make is limited by the Demo Modes time out but from what I have been able to do it looks promising!

I believe that you could also use Absynth for resampling as well (a method I've been experimenting of late to varying success) as it has granular & sampler modes on the oscillators. Granular seems to be a word that has popped up a lot lately.

As far as this method goes I bet with a good understanding and clever use of the envelopes you could probably build a pretty frickin' twisted bass inside of Absynth without resampling at all, I'm not to that level yet but I feel that it is probably a definite possibility of Absynth.

I'm pretty much a noob to resampling myself but I have heard only good things from people about using Kontakt to resample the sound, I only have the Kontakt Player so whatever sound I make is limited by the Demo Modes time out but from what I have been able to do it looks promising!

I believe that you could also use Absynth for resampling as well (a method I've been experimenting of late to varying success) as it has granular & sampler modes on the oscillators. Granular seems to be a word that has popped up a lot lately.

As far as this method goes I bet with a good understanding and clever use of the envelopes you could probably build a pretty frickin' twisted bass inside of Absynth without resampling at all, I'm not to that level yet but I feel that it is probably a definite possibility of Absynth.
I love absynth for sound design jobs like ui sounds, reward sounds and chimy stuff. Pretty sure you could get some nice bass out of it too, altough it might not have the ideal parameters.

I'd strongly recommend downloading a demo of alchemy too. Great simple ui, with good parameters for bass. Also has granular options per osc etc

Dunno if it's resampling or not but i usually have a different synth for different frequency's, one for sub, one for bass, one for mid etc etc. each one going to a different group/bus then all routed one main stereo group/bus. As i go along ill usually export some sounds and add effect's.

sounds retarded but it works for me

also resampling things like atmospheres, effects and melody's is pretty cool for inspiration and usually sounds quite cool too!

Dunno if it's resampling or not but i usually have a different synth for different frequency's, one for sub, one for bass, one for mid etc etc. each one going to a different group/bus then all routed one main stereo group/bus. As i go along ill usually export some sounds and add effect's.

sounds retarded but it works for me

also resampling things like atmospheres, effects and melody's is pretty cool for inspiration and usually sounds quite cool too!

Why would that sound retarded? To some extend it's what i show in the vids. you calling me retarded? kiddin

Make a bazz.
Bounce it.
Reverse it.
Bounce it.
Normalize.
Reverse.
Reverse.
Timestretch.
Reverse.
Pitch down 4 octaves.
Reverse.
Timestretch.
Reverse.
Layer a cello.
Bounce.
Reverse.
Reverse.

Can some one give tutorial about styles of automation. In what fashion should knobs move etc I know this is stuff where you find your own way. But some starting input will be thxd for. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom