Bass Resampling?

Can some one give tutorial about styles of automation. In what fashion should knobs move etc I know this is stuff where you find your own way. But some starting input will be thxd for. :oops:

Make a bazz.
Bounce it.
Reverse it.
Bounce it.
Normalize.
Reverse.
Reverse.
Timestretch.
Reverse.
Pitch down 4 octaves.
Reverse.
Timestretch.
Reverse.
Layer a cello.
Bounce.
Reverse.
Reverse.

Can some one give tutorial about styles of automation. In what fashion should knobs move etc I know this is stuff where you find your own way. But some starting input will be thxd for. :oops:

Make a fairly basic saw wave bass, you can add whatever you want for the initial layer, but don't get tooo crazy.

Bounce it out to audio, load 2 instances of a sampler with the bounced audio loaded into it.

Detune the samples Up/Down 25 cents, respectively. This is where you start doing things like filter automation, significant LFO moves, pitch bends etc... (process the two samples separately for extra good times). Bounce it out

Now you've got a big long chunk of different moves applied to your bass. Now, this next process will vary for whatever software/sampler you're using but set it up so that different MIDI note inputs will play the sample at a different start point. Specifically, set the start points to certain moves and automation sections you like so you've got a bank of rhythms and moves to go through.

Play around with the different sample start points, and eventually you'll have a nice groove going.

Next, finish the song.

Theres really no set way to go about it. Several good methods have been suggested. One important thing I think no one has mentioned don't go crazy with distortion. You want to add little distortion but in multiple stages. I personally don't really load my bounced samples into a sampler because I like working with audio. There is advantages to both methods, though. Also, if you layer real sounds with high frequencies such as paper crumbling, water running, etc it will give a great texture and movement in the hi end.

Also, if you layer real sounds with high frequencies such as paper crumbling, water running, etc it will give a great texture and movement in the hi end.
Mako mentioned this in that interview posted up here recently. In his sample pack he has a 'chewing baked beans' sample which does the same thing.

Yo. Anyone seen any good guides to resampling basses in Kontakt? I've only ever used with the specially designed instruments... Really keen to try this out

Oh man - this is so useful!! Gives you an idea at least of using the sampler functions in Kontakt. Can't be sure til I try it out, but it looks way more comprehensive than EXS24 in Logic.

Thank you sir!!

Hey, I'm currently going through the same process of trying to learn more about re-sampling and all (starting from pretty much nowhere cause I'm a newbie). I found some great tutorials on Seamless's youtube channel :
The 'how to bass' playlist may be usefull for you, he's mainly using FL and Harmor but you can probably adapt his tips to whatever you're using.

what is it with all the bouncing out... bouncing your bass just decreases quality and gives you less options to tweak/refine. Don't bounce, just layer synths

what is it with all the bouncing out... bouncing your bass just decreases quality and gives you less options to tweak/refine. Don't bounce, just layer synths
Bouncing allows you to do stuff like chopping, reversing, pitching and time-stretching, bouncing it also allows you to throw it into sampler with which you can further process the sound in ways that would sometimes be hard to do on a synth.

also, getting a good starting sound from massive or your synth of choice is a big part of it.

+1 for this. The tone you start with will determine how interesting the sample is later, and what kind of textures you can draw out of it.

if you dont mind me asking...do you have an example song with the type of basslines youre talking about...?

Back
Top Bottom