bass resampling vs midi +realtime synth

Innovine

So, I'd appreciate some feedback on creating basslines somewhere between twisty neuro and deep dubstep wobs.

As I have a hardware-only studio, resampling and frequency splitting my basslines is something I almost never do.. Instead, I just make a synth patch (Virus B) with some fx thrown onto it. This sorta works, especially for a one shot wrrruum kinda sound, but it is difficult to chain together complex modulations.
To make things more difficult, I play drums along with my basslines, and when practising and writing drums, I want to adjust the tempo A LOT. This is another major reason I've not bothered with resampling.. if I have everything as MIDI it's possible to change the tempo without the bassline changing radically.

To do frequency splitting and similar in my environment, I have tried creating bass, mid and high patches, triggered by the same midi notes. I then can add fx to each, and merge the results together and compress and dist again. I can also feed this output as an audio input to the virus again, and use a different midi note to trigger the amp and filter env.

So, what is the difference between this realtime approach and resampling? well, Pitch is perhaps the biggest.. I can pitch the source osc's up, but I don't hear the modulations speed up. Is this an important aspect to resampling which I've missed?

I use an MPC as a sequencer, and it is able to record midi CC messages, and edit (cut, copy and overdub), so I am wondering, what do you think of editing the modulations in midi CC messages and automations, rather than resampling and working with modulated audio in a sampler? Am I missing some other aspect which resampling and using a sampler gives? Getting creative with the start points? I am mostly interested in working methods which produce happy accidents, and I don't find my current way of editing CCs to be flexible enough to do that..

Sorry for the rambling post, I'm bored at work today.

thats ok buddy i got you. basically, without resampling, or, at least working in audio (which essentially is resampling) you will never get the real warpy basses.
the difference is its costructed from 50 links of bits of wavs you sampled and cut out, then carefully arranged into a sequence that sounds like one uniform warpy sound. but isnt. because its 50 wav peices of maybe the same synth but in drastically different states. you see what i mean here buddy? thats teebee and calyx anyway, and im sure anyone with seriously warpy bass agrees. check the justin todd tutorial for a rundown of what to do.

Pretty much what logikz said.

I don't have too much experience with hardware synths/samplers for real production purposes (i just dick around with them when I'm at Guitar Center, LOL). And like logikz said, the real warpy wobbly funtime basses come from different little chops and edits from one big phat beefcake bassline. But, since your studio is hardware only, I don't think I can really provide that much valuable info to you.

Here's a .pdf about resampling put together by Electro-Mass over at IDMf, I found it pretty useful and I think you still might be able to get some good knowledge out of it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4sgsio

Back
Top Bottom