Bass Queries

Discussion in 'Production' started by D-Jhepz, Jul 31, 2013.

1. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

I'm doing an experimental 170 piece and for the bass Ive i decided to use a modified electric bass guitar, now i would of thought you can play chords on a bass guitar but some of my parts become distorted or muddy, almost like when you play 2 sine notes and you get the wub?

Is there a way round this, anyone have experience, or just dont play chords?

PS i tried to play single notes and the tune only fits with chords

2. Attire

Attire Last Winter

Generally, bass guitars should never play chords because it is always going to sound muddy at the lower octaves.
    If you really want to try though, perhaps eqing each individual note in the chord to knock out those clashing frequencies would be an idea.

3. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

oh i thought they could my bad.... and i was considering that as the chords are essential to the certain harmonics i am aiming for but i was hoping for another way but thanks man

4. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

5. MrChapman

MrChapman Member

Kinda right. I'm a bassist myself and chords are used a lot more than people think. NOFX - Whoops I OD'd is just a bass guitar playing chords the whole way through, give it a listen. The bassline drops down to the 3rd fret on the lowest string and keep most of the clarity there (still a fair amount of breakup in the sound but hey it's a punk band). Most of the chords I use in rock/blues/funk etc are just straight 5th chords (root note and 5th note above it - or on a bass 1 string down 2 frets along), inversions of that and open strings with a note underneath to get that chord sound (open d string 11th fret on the g sounds sexy as fuck). Any more than 2 strings and I agree it does start to get a bit muddy. Plus those chords are a bitch to play. Because of that when I do play these type of chords it's generally in the higher octaves or up a string. So er...try taking them up a few octaves. Pin a sub under it to hold the weight maybe, or try just taking individual notes up to see if they stand out more.

Hope that helped. I'm gonna go get me some pie and chips.

D-Jhepz likes this.
  6. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

^ Spot on. Whenever you have a moment, YouTube some Les Claypool solos and enjoy the show.

7. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

thank you mate was really helpful

spyre likes this.