Bass punch and tone

Discussion in 'Production' started by D-Jhepz, Nov 10, 2012.

1. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

I have quite a solid bass stab... very full and deep really shakes the room... now how to i had that punch and more so a bit of tone... preferably layered over as i dont wanna lose the initial dynamic but pitching it and playing around more with it?

2. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Exactly how you said......Layer another sound over the top of it, with a sharp attack to give it the punch!

3. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

well duhhh... i was hoping for some specifics on personal experience i could try out and see what works

4. mr meh

mr meh Well-Known Member

Recently I've started using a transient shaper on bass stabs to give them that extra punch.

5. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Want me to make it for you while I'm here?

Seriously tho....We cant give you exact rules on a subject so vague. You want punch right? but what actual sound are you after? gritty, raspy.....hollow.......smooth? the list goes on. Like I said , try a sound with a quick attack on the ADSR. Maybe try adding some saturation to it in the FX chain, or a little overdrive?

6. marcelkennard

marcelkennard Storms comin in Annie

Put a really short pitch glide at the start of the sound like up an octave or 2- find the balance where you get a nice thump without hearing the actual change in pitch

7. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

thats fair enough i was just wondering like some ideas... the punch i kinda do have... its the tone im more so after so its not just bass

this is that bass im talking about the one that comes in at 0.44... i sent it to highpassed buss and added a bit of bitcrusher to get that growl but when i try pitching it up it loses its dynamic :/

8. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

I'd try layering a lowpassed square wave with a small amount of resonance over the initial sine sub layer to achieve that sound