Bass line writers block

Derelicts Of Tomorrow

Founded 1977
VIP Junglist
Recently I have the worst writer's block when it comes to Bass lines. I've been spending so much time on my sound design of drums recently that I usually just used 808 sore sine wave bases and now that I'm going back and trying to write some mid-range basis I am just beating my head against the wall and cannot come up with anything that I like.

whereas drum edits seem to be my niche, I guess I lack the most skill when it comes to creating interesting mid-range bass lines and it's driving me nuts.

I've been in the same boat man, worked a lot on sound design first then I was getting writersblocks when arranging. What I find works well is making a solid bassline with a very simple patch first like just a saw wave, this way you can focus on the melody and the rhythm of the bassline first. Then when you're happy start modulating the filters and further work on the patch. Whatever you do during this stage, you'll know that at least the notes and rhythm are solid, from there it's just sound design you'll be working on. I find that this works pretty well for me.

I've been in the same boat man, worked a lot on sound design first then I was getting writersblocks when arranging. What I find works well is making a solid bassline with a very simple patch first like just a saw wave, this way you can focus on the melody and the rhythm of the bassline first. Then when you're happy start modulating the filters and further work on the patch. Whatever you do during this stage, you'll know that at least the notes and rhythm are solid, from there it's just sound design you'll be working on. I find that this works pretty well for me.
great tip thanks brother ;)

I feel you man, not sure if it'll be of any help to you at all but I find that if I'm not entirely happy with how things are panning out arrangement wise I'll usually keep pushing through with processing the elements to sit together, having another run at an 8 bar arrangement every now and then when enough changes have been made; if I'm still sat in the same project after an hour without an 8 bar loop I'm feeling then I'll generally start over.

Def an awesome tip there, thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom