Bass levels/Monitor speakers

co0ke

windowlicker
VIP Junglist
I've been making tracks using logitech desktop speakers and a sub, ive got a bass sound that i cant hear enough of unless i turn up the bass levels on the sub... but i imagine this is bad news.

I've got an amp and a pair of mission hifi speakers that I tried writing tunes with before and I was just wondering, how different are monitor speakers from hifi speakers?

Is it worth it to invest in monitors, and if I did, would they handle the bass frequencies involved in dnb, or would I need an additional sub?

I welcome your words of wisdom (y)

monitors ofcourse man, various hi-fi speakers can "colour" the sound in different ways, some can give extra sheen on the hi end, others bass heavy etc etc and give you a complete misprepresenation of what u are making, so if u save up enough defo get some monitors mate as a decent pair will give u a flat response which is what u want if ur producin ;)

Yeah what he said...

Save up the money and get a decent pair of monitors

when you get them, probably best to find where they sit in the studio room u are using

Its good to use a piece of string and a friend, hold the piece of string and stand in the middle of the room, get the friend to hold a monitor and move around the room.

You will hear the difference in sound in difffernet places, chose the one you think sounds best and set up there

Then just reference ur tunage with ones that you like in ur style

And off ya go :)

nice one for that (y)

always messes me up when I hear something I've made at a mates and it sounds completely different to how it does at my place.

And as for saving up money... student loan ftw :D

Gonna have to get researching monitors!

I Use a pair of Samson Rubicon 6As and i think they are awesome for producing DnB. Plus they have ribbon tweeters so they are really clear!

I use a pair of Mackie MR5's. Cost me just under £300 I think...

I'm really pleased with them, the sound is amazing. Problem is I can't really say how truely flat they are as I'm in a small bedroom and the acoustics are terrible.

Can't wait to move out!

ye they are pretty pricey. wanna make sure i get the facts right before i invest

I use some stereo speakers from 1984 :D b&w 220's, they're so wank you wouldn't believe, but! If you ear knows your speakers, then you should be able to cope with them I've been listening to dnb so long through these that i know when it fits. (I never get it right, but pretty close). I've been looking to invest in monitors. They range from like 80 quid to 500+. which makes me wander which range would be the 'mediocre' range. Any suggestions?

Get yourself some Tannoy monitors =]
Worth every penny!
Me i jus have some really old Technics and Wharfdales,
But the bottom end is very low as they didnt limit them in those days =D baked beans =]

lol raz though u put me onto a good deal.

wouldve been spewing once i plugged them in!

:sick:

I use some stereo speakers from 1984 :D b&w 220's, they're so wank you wouldn't believe

Dont get rid of your old speakers though, I have a pair of old hifi's from the 80's also connected and during mixdown I often flip them on briefly instead of my monitors. Just to check how it sounds on completely other speakers.

I think treating your listening area with bass traps and some absorbing surfaces should come first though. The surroundings make a huge difference on sound. Also avoid placing them in corners or near walls helps.

Back
Top Bottom