Bass Interfering with kicks; How to fix?

Discussion in 'Production' started by 5IVE7EVEN9INE, Mar 17, 2010.

1. 5IVE7EVEN9INE

5IVE7EVEN9INE 14

Ok, so I got this nasty bass that i really like, but it seems to have too much bass, thus i cant hear my kicks. I tried turning the pitch higher, but it sounds bad.

I dont know if i have to mess around with the frequencies or what. (I dont know how to change the Freq.)

The bass was made with massive; if that helps or not. Should i post a link to the bass and beat ?
    :\

2. RevTech

RevTech Butthole=output transduce

EQ the bass and the kick. For more on that, look around the forum looking for keywords like EQ and such

One trick might also be to pan the kick and bass VERY slightly off one another

3. demonicdnb

demonicdnb got duct-tape?

don't pan your sub bass ever. it should be mono. above 80 - 100 hz is ok. if you pan sub bass and it gets pressed, the needle will jump around in the groove.
    you should be cutting your kicks at around 100hz, with a little boost there to make up for the lost bottom end. if that's not enough room, do a mild, and i mean very mild
    sidechained compressor on the bass/sidechained to the kick, so it dips just a hair. be careful that you don't set the threshold too low or it will pump the bass, the idea is for the compressor
    to be inaudible. also you can eq the bass out where the kick is. get a spectrum analyzer and solo the kick, wherever it peaks the most, dip the eq on the bass.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  4. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

^^ Perfect answer :)

5. Krispy

Krispy Member

How do you make sub-bass mono anyways? I have been trying to figure this out

6. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

in ableton you just drop the mono effect on the channel?!

agree, but 100hz is a bit high in my opinion for kick (at least for dnb), round 80hz is where the 'wieght' comes from? i think it is dependant upon application?

7. d.o.b

d.o.b I've been naughty, I'm banned

I cut my sub bass at 45-65hz... bass at 70-120hz is home of the kick.... this way they play at totaly different levels,sounds clear,sub bass stands out,no distortion

dnb is music where you must cut everything or it will sound like overloaded shit

8. 5IVE7EVEN9INE

5IVE7EVEN9INE 14

Thanks for advice, ill definitely use it, now ill just have to find a plugin(?) to do all that. What would you guys recomend

EDIT: So i messed around with Massive's EQ, at its fucking fantastic. :D Bass really sounds awesome when you mess about with frequencies,boost, high shelf, low shelf. Now gotta try with some kicks.

ALRIGHT so i went through all my drum loops looking for some decent kicks (not too bassy, not too high etc) found a good one, which im gonna use. Because, i still need to find/learn how to use an actual equalizer, i haven't changed/rounded any frequencies yet (or whatever). Too complicated for me D:
    But yah, got mah shit going, so thanks to all those that responded im harpy now :3

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010