Bass from scratch

cactopus

Producer
I was wondering if anybody had a link to a tutorial on making a decent DnB bassline from scratch (specifically, using Ableton's operator or NI Massive)

I find it hard to make a bassline that is fully put together by myself. I usually end up modifying a preset to suit my needs, but I'm getting sick of how limited the presets can be.

I am not interested in a wobble bass; instead I would just like to learn how to make a REALLY deep and intense sound with some grit to it. If anyone could help, that would be most appreciated.

Here's a link to what I really am interested in being able to do (bass comes in at 50 seconds):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17s7c7qJNJU&feature=related

tbf mate... i looked and looked for the same thing... (ableton operator business) and never found it! i just played with it and played with it (normally starting at presets) to get what i want... took fooking ages!

all the tunes here are made with operator as the synth http://soundcloud.com/richie_stix i can give you some pointers but not really a full on tutorial ;)

Hey Richie,
there are some pretty nice basses did you just use operator or operator and some effect/distort units?
greetz Blue

yeah... saturator, compressor & eq (not always in that order) sometimes a resonator or redux (all ableton built in (y))

:) ok, saturator i use on all of my layers because in my opinion it's sounds better and compressor for some pumping sound with a side-chain on the kick.
greetz Blue

richie what oscillators, etc do you use inside operator? i am fine with using effects but i've seen and heard of people doing really cool stuff just with operator but i guess i just haven't played with it enough.

it varies my man... a combo of all really! personally prefer sin4 and one of the squares to get going... but then its a case of changing the algorythym (the way the little oscilator 'boxes' stack up at teh bottom) and meddling with the tone... lfo modulating the filter is your friend (y)

you should look into resampling. its the rest of the way to a cool bass sound, synth programming is one way, and resampling is the rest. make a cool bass note (or a whole bass riff, could be even better) and export it to wav, load it up in cool edit or soundforge or what have you and frrrrrrrrrreak it with the built in effects or vsts or if you have some hardware (even better), cut it up and import it back into your sequencer. make another riff with more effects, output that to wav and rinse repeat.

Have a look to this videos. He says (the author) that they are just aimed to dubstep but i think are both useful for DNB...

Cheerz

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom