Bass Distortion Hardware/Software

metaverse

connected : movement
Whats up everyone...

I'm new around here and to producing as well...

I was wondering what I should use for getting those crazy , dark , nasty eat your children alive type bass line rollers a la Dillinja, Ill Skills, ect...

I understand it can be done with a Keyboard (i've got a triton Extreme) and a bass distortion module of some type...

I was wondering if I should go hardware or Software...

In general im a SERIOUS NEWB and dont have a solid "mental" grip around how it all works so any type of help at all is greatly appreciated be it a suggestion on what to do or where to go...again THANK YOU and I apologize for spilling noob sauce all over your screeen... peace

~meta

For those 808-Dillinja basses you need an 808-Kick from Roland TR808 drum machine (im sure you can find a samplepack somewhere around here or just search on the web). You put that kick in your sampler and just distort it to fuck, maybe resample and distort it some more. Keep doin this as much as you want, you could also layer and EQ them seperatly and use some other effects if you want to, there isnt any rules actually.

I would recommend you to go software now since you said that you are a noob. But maybe you could switch later on when you've got the basics and stuff down. For free plugins I recommend you to go to www.kvraudio.com and search there.

But the most important thing to do is practice, it all will come with time as long as you have the will, patience and fun to learn everything.

Good luck!

Further to skyloves method, with a bass sound like that, it's cool to apply a chrus to the higher frequencies (not the low freqs, that would be very bad)...

Depending on your sequencer, you may need to route the output to 2 channels, or even duplicate the sampler \ synth. One channel with a low pass filter provides the bass, the other channel, with a high pass and chorus, provides some cool ass techy distortion (y)

Psst.. industry secret

Here are two foolproof tools that will have you destroying your speakers in no time.

Greasetube - VSTI Distortion/Compressor Plugin. PHAT.

Subbastard - Nifty little .exe that will give you some deep, dark bass at a touch of a button.

Attachments

• GreaseTube.zip
    219.9 KB · Views: 92
  • subbastard.rar
    294.6 KB · Views: 101
subbastard!!!!!! havent seen that little thing for years, since like 99 or something. One of the first synthesis apps i ever messed with together with rubberduck, rebirth and the original VAZ. Its funky but i prefer cooledit.

When you distort your bass you want to use a string of other things to refine the sound as it'll get messy very quickly.

Compression and limiting can keep the volume in check, and also using EQ cleverly can fatten things up. My best tip is to make sure that you don't lose all the sub bass when you distort, you can do this by pumping in lots of bass with an eq afterwards.

many many many thank yous...

I was using pt 6.4 but i sold my digi002 so the PT went with it... im now looking at Logic Pro however I dont have a mac so i'll have to wait... Plus i've got an 88 key triton extreme im getting rid of as well... no need for a sampler,sequencer workstation when I plan on using a soft sequencer... The distortion tube is cool but it doesn't really give that phat bottom end fill up your ear drums type of boom/roller that im looking for...

just some random thoughts....thanks again guys

~ meta

metaverse said:
many many many thank yous...

I was using pt 6.4 but i sold my digi002 so the PT went with it... im now looking at Logic Pro however I dont have a mac so i'll have to wait... Plus i've got an 88 key triton extreme im getting rid of as well... no need for a sampler,sequencer workstation when I plan on using a soft sequencer... The distortion tube is cool but it doesn't really give that phat bottom end fill up your ear drums type of boom/roller that im looking for...

just some random thoughts....thanks again guys

~ meta

The bottom end is the one thing software struggles with IMO, might be best to use just a little hardware for that kind of thing.

logikz said:
like what?

Like going through a hardware EQ or a desk or something like that.

I'm always gutted at how easily Ray gets massive sub bass just by putting stuff through his desk. Even when it's samples that I've made and tried to use on my setup it just doesn't sound as good.

Nookie says the same as well

logikz said:
a hardware eq eh. should probably have a look at one of them peices of gear then. you got a name for it or something like that?
I'm going for a soundcraft desk to do this

a desk, sounds out of my price range. theyre expensive right? think i could afford a hardware eq though. going to have to look into that.
edit: and would you stop it with the mary poppins routine and explain this soundcraft desk bizniss then???

Last edited:
logikz said:
a desk, sounds out of my price range. theyre expensive right? think i could afford a hardware eq though. going to have to look into that.
edit: and would you stop it with the mary poppins routine and explain this soundcraft desk bizniss then???

What you on about? All I mean is just use a desk as in doing the mix on the desk. They aren't that pricey at all, you can get one for under 300 which would be about the same price as a reasonable EQ.

This one's alright!
http://www.turnkey.co.uk/tkweb/stockdetail.jsp?sku=SCRA-M8&context=WEB

You might end up having to get a new soundcard I guess for multiple outputs but that's not too pricey either.

I'll let you know how I get on with it when I pick it up, should do the job though I imagine!

One of those m audio delta soundcards will do the job for your multiple outputs, I got my one pretty cheap

I have a Yamaha MG12/4 desk and a Waveterminal 192L soundcard - work together pretty well and you can pick up both of those pretty cheap, you could probably buy both new for less than £200.

Back
Top Bottom