Basis of a Half-time/step tune

Menosance

aka OSOI
VIP Junglist
Hi guys,

I did a half-time track not that long ago and I did post it in the new talent section as an experiment. It got received with not so good reviews back then. Now, I am thinking to turn it into a proper track. My question is are there any pre-conditions towards producing a half-time track.

For example, should the hi-hats be also half-timed or there is no need?
Should the track also have a slow vibe as well??
so on and so forth.

Thank you for all the help and the finished track would be uploaded on the new talent section as soon as I believe it is finished.

Much Love,
Menosance

1 snare, on the 3rd beat of the bar at approximately 170-175bpm (assuming you mean half-time dnb)...that's about it. Everything else is entirely up to you.

1 snare, on the 3rd beat of the bar at approximately 170-175bpm (assuming you mean half-time dnb)...that's about it. Everything else is entirely up to you.

You could actually put the snare on the 4th beat of the bar too.

So the only things that would be needed to be half-time are the kicks and snares?? Yes, I am referring to 174BPM half-time D&B :D

- - - Updated - - -

You could actually put the snare on the 4th beat of the bar too.

But you still to put a snare on the 3rd beat though. Right??

So the only things that would be needed to be half-time are the kicks and snares?? Yes, I am referring to 174BPM half-time D&B :D

- - - Updated - - -

But you still to put a snare on the 3rd beat though. Right??

It is up to you if you include hats or not. Try listening to some half time DnB tunes and analyse the hat arrangement. I know Breakage uses a huge variation of hats and cymbals in his half time tunes. Listen to Run Em Out and Clarendon.

and

Yes.

I'm not super huge into dubstep, but literally 100% of the tunes I do enjoy, while technically still being a halftime beat, have enough emphasis on the quarter notes (assuming the tracks are written around 140bpm, that I can bob my head at that speed and it still works; see Neosignals remix of Stigma for a good example of this.

It's pretty much the same with DnB. Some tunes only have the kick and the snare, while others have layers upon layers of rides n hats. Because you're going back to an older tune, you probably have a bit of a basis of how you want it to sound, so base your decisions off that.

Back
Top Bottom