Basic Synthesis...

parsons19

VIP Junglist
Hey guys,

I did a search here on this forum and actually found a thread I made a few months ago about learning to create my own sounds. I was told to learn about Basic Synthesis and I have skimmed on it very slightly but not enough at all. Now I am going to go for a name change soon and release a debut EP I feel now would be as good a time as any to go about learning more.

Just thought I would ask what the best site, or book, or whatever, is to learn basic synthesis from? I am wanting to be able to create my own pads and leads :) I am most experienced at making bass sounds but more knowledge in all different sound types would be ideal!

Thought I would make a thread where maybe people could post useful links, videos, tuts and all that :) (If you would all be so kind!)

Found this which may get the ball rolling: http://www.innovativesynthesis.com/basic-synthesis-part-1-–-oscillators/

Then this thread can help out all the producers looking to get into sound creation/synthesis in more depth! I am pretty sure there are a few of us!

Jordan

Last edited:
Well the basics are getting to know what each different type of wave sounds like. Like the square / saw / sine etc. Also look into the ADSR (attack, sustain, decay & release) and how they effect the sounds. For instance , put a saw and sine wave together, with full sustain, long attack, mid decay and long release and you got the basics for a pad sound if you put it high up the octaves. From there you can add chorus, flanger and reverb to give it more air!

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:46 ----------

Quick guide to what envelopes are

---------- Post added at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:54 ----------

Sound synthesis

---------- Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:56 ----------

Subtractive synthesis

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

basic synthesis

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Cheers Fletch, I just watched the first two vids you posted now I have some more! :D

Not sure if you use massive or not? Could anyone tell me where to find the envelopes for each waveform like they are doing in Abletons Operator in the videos? Or do I have to drag one of my four envolopes across to the wavetable position?

Wow! Cheers Fletch, I just watched the first two vids you posted now I have some more! :D

Not sure if you use massive or not? Could anyone tell me where to find the envelopes for each waveform like they are doing in Abletons Operator in the videos? Or do I have to drag one of my four envolopes across to the wavetable position?

theres a series of tabs in the bottom right hand corner, with different features (lfo's envelopes performer etc) just click the one with the env heading (the one with a 4 next to it is assigned to the amp i think) if you still cant find it i'll take a screenshot for you mate. hope that helps

theres a series of tabs in the bottom right hand corner, with different features (lfo's envelopes performer etc) just click the one with the env heading (the one with a 4 next to it is assigned to the amp i think) if you still cant find it i'll take a screenshot for you mate. hope that helps

ah crap just read your post properly, derppp. yeah man drag an envelope onto wavetable position and you're away

I highly recommend the MusicTech Focus issue on Synthesis. Wonderful and full of info

Awesome cheers guys :)

Now you mention magaizines TM I beleive the next issue of Computer Music is on "Future Synths" and is about patch creation, so that may have some useful info :)

Cheers for the MusicTech recommendation!

I use massive a lot! So if there's anything you need to know, I'll try and help. Maybe if you got aim, we can sit down and go through a couple of training sessions?

Yeah man it's free. Once you installed it, add me to your buddy list, my aim is dnbdimenzions. Send me a message and later tonight we'll go through some things

Sweet man, I am a tiny bit busy tonight so may not be able to stick around for long! But we can do it whenever each of is free for as long as we like I guess! :)

Do I need a webcam or can it just be done typing/speaking? I have a webcam but the quality is appauling :lol:

Nah man, it's an instant messenger type thingy. I'll type something, press enter n it'll pop up on your screen and vice versa.

I'm about all day tomorrow after about 10am if thats good for ya?

Back
Top Bottom